Menu

Sonlight Science...and bird watching?

tld

Somewhere along the line, I want to do a unit on birds where we study them, learn their songs, watch them, etc. Since I'm leaning towards Sonlight Science for elementary years, do they ever focus on birds even for a short while? I guess I'm just wondering where it would make sense to squeeze this unit in if Sonlight science doesn't cover it. Well, I guess if they don't cover it, I can squeeze it in wherever I want!

I haven't seen it in Sonlight, either. We did a very simple bird study with a Dover bird sticker book. DD would pick out a bird in the book and put it in her nature study sketchbook. Then we would identify it, name some attributes by looking in an Audubon bird book, and listen to the bird calls on an app. We would also identify birds in the wild and in our yard. It was simple but great for her age (around 6-7) and perfect for me considering how ignorant I was on the subject.

I don't know what grade or SL Science you're thinking of but I think SL uses the Usborne First Book of Nature (at least they used to), in which there is a pretty lengthy section (for that age-group anyway) on birds. Eggs, nests, types of beaks, what they eat, etc. One of our favorites.

But I can't find it in the SL Science packages, so maybe they took it out?

However, I do see The Usborne Book of Knowledge included in Science C and it says it covers how birds & animals live (among other things). Maybe you could slip your bird study in there, following the bird section.

I think SL Science skips around from topic to topic a bit anyway, though, so really I don't think you'd have to worry about "fitting it in" so much as just making time for it. I don't think it would seem out of place.

We just re-stocked our bird feeder...it's right outside our window. We've been looking up birds as we see them and my older two have drawn them in their nature books. I'm hoping to pick up a bird identification CD soon...there's one to go with our state bird book. It's in this series: http://www.rainbowresource.com/prodlist.php?subject=11&category=3227

We'll do a more thorough study later on, but they are enjoying this right now! I think you should jump in!