Menu

Placement help needed for Heart of Dakota (7th grader)

13 members have voted

1. 1. Where should I place my 7th grade daughter next year in Heart of Dakota?

• Just stay the course and go with CTC. Skip Rev-2-Rev and MTMM once she hits 9th grade
    • Skip forward to Rev-2-Rev and follow the guides from their on out.
    • Other

This past year, for 6th grade my 12 year old daughter did Preparing Hearts with my younger 10 year old daughter. Because I don't feel my younger daughter is ready yet for Creation to Christ, I am having her do something else next year. My plan was for my 12 year old, (she will be 13 in June) to do Creation to Christ for 7th grade but now I am not so sure.

With Preparing Hearts 75% of the year has been focused on Ancient History. Doing Creation to Christ next year will be like repeating that Ancient History. I realize that it will give a lot more detail and possibly a different angle, but it is still Ancient History. I am also concerned the Science will be too light for her. I feel like 7th and 8th grades should begin to prepare a student for high school studies.

Secondly, If I start with CTC, she will have to skip some guides once she hits 9th grade. I am not willing to beef them up for high school. It becomes too much of a burden to do so. So now I am considering having her do Revival to Revolution next year. In looking over the placement chart, I think she could handle the older guide but it would be a bit of a stretch with some of the materials. So I would love your thoughts in addition to the poll above.

Michelle,

Why not RTR? If Rev is a stretch and CtC is a drag perhaps RTR is the happy medium. It looks GOOD. You're still hitting MtMM in 9th but Carrie does have helps for beefing up. If you don't want to then you will have to "get on grade level" so that you hit Geog. in 9th.

It's also just April. Perhaps Rev will be a little more doable come fall.

When my now 7th grader was using Preparing in 5th, we skipped him ahead to RtR for 6th. His older brother was in 8th and also used that guide with extensions. It was a very good year for both of them. :) My 8th grader did grade-level work in Math and LA. The science was a bit "light" but you could easily add in another program if your dd is ready for more advanced work (Apologia General comes to mind). You could use RtR, go right into RevtoRev for 8th and then skip MtMM and use the Geography on grade level for 9th.

My 7th grader has done BEAUTIFULLY well with RTR this year. In fact now that she is at the last 12 weeks she is considering going double speed (2 days per day) to finish it in 6 weeks. We have rev to rev sitting here and she is DYING to jump into those books. We has become almost totally independent this year with just guidance from me. I think it's PERFECT for 7th grade...we did a mix of the regular story time titles and the extensions and it has been great. She read them herself as I don't have time to read them to her. We also added HSITW project passport Middle Ages in the beginning. It was a perfect fit!

I think I have a plan but I would love feedback on it...

I think what I have decided to do for 7th grade is Resurrection to Reformation next year. The science is messed up however so I have decided to use a combination of CTC's science and RTR's science since we have recently studied Astronomy and the Human Body in depth. So I'll take the remaining science books from those two years and schedule them into one year.

Then for 8th grade I am going to do Rev to Rev.

For 9th grade we'll do MtMM. It is just too good to skip. Since I'll also already own the new Geography guide, I'll have her do some aspects of that over the summer before her 10th grade. I am mostly interested in not skipping the actual geography lessons. I'll skip the rest of that guide and finish out her school career with all the remaining HOD guides.

This plan allows me to use all the guides after CTC, even if I am only using parts of them. I'll already own everything since my older daughter is using them. It will be nice to have them for my last two children with minimal extra expense.

Just a side note... I considered using Apologia General Science instead but it was way too textbooky for us, plus the whole second half of the book is human anatomy which we studied this year. I also looked at Rainbow Science but it was too expensive plus I saw an error on their sample stating Pluto is a planet. I am thinking it hasn't been updated for a long time. I am glad to use books that I already own even if it means a bit of work scheduling them.

So to recap:

7th - Resurrection to Reformation with a mix of science from CTC and RTR

8th - Revival to Revolution

9th - Missions to Modern Marvels

SUMMER - Geography portion of new Geography Guide

10th - World History

11th - American History Part I

12th - American History Part II

What a difficult decision! When my son did Creation to Christ (last year as a 7th grader), I had him do the science portion of Res. to Ref. This year he is doing the Res. to Ref. and doing Rainbow Science. We have done some doubling up of the history and bible portions of the guide as we didn't want to finish in June. He has done well with it, but I keep a close eye to make sure he is understanding what he is reading.

I am stuck for next year as well. Just can't decide. He will be in 8th grade and would like to go to public high school full time beginning 9th grade, so it just might be my last year. The next two guides look amazing, but he did American History in 4th and 5th grade. I wouldn't mind doing it again if I knew he would be home, but I know the school does the second half of American History in 9th grade. I've also looked at the new guide coming out. It looks amazing and I think he could handle most of the work. Hmmm...

Blessings,

I think I have a plan but I would love feedback on it...

I think what I have decided to do for 7th grade is Resurrection to Reformation next year. The science is messed up however so I have decided to use a combination of CTC's science and RTR's science since we have recently studied Astronomy and the Human Body in depth. So I'll take the remaining science books from those two years and schedule them into one year.

Then for 8th grade I am going to do Rev to Rev.

For 9th grade we'll do MtMM. It is just too good to skip. Since I'll also already own the new Geography guide, I'll have her do some aspects of that over the summer before her 10th grade. I am mostly interested in not skipping the actual geography lessons. I'll skip the rest of that guide and finish out her school career with all the remaining HOD guides.

This plan allows me to use all the guides after CTC, even if I am only using parts of them. I'll already own everything since my older daughter is using them. It will be nice to have them for my last two children with minimal extra expense.

Just a side note... I considered using Apologia General Science instead but it was way too textbooky for us, plus the whole second half of the book is human anatomy which we studied this year. I also looked at Rainbow Science but it was too expensive plus I saw an error on their sample stating Pluto is a planet. I am thinking it hasn't been updated for a long time. I am glad to use books that I already own even if it means a bit of work scheduling them.

So to recap:

7th - Resurrection to Reformation with a mix of science from CTC and RTR

8th - Revival to Revolution

9th - Missions to Modern Marvels

SUMMER - Geography portion of new Geography Guide

10th - World History

11th - American History Part I

12th - American History Part II

I voted other.

I was thinking something like this only was not thinking adding in HOD Geography but adding something like Paces World Geography do do in the alongside the HS years or during the summer times between HS years.