Menu

What will I find in Teaching Textbooks version 2.0 that version 1 can't give me?

Ghee

In considering TT for next year, I'm having trouble finding version 2.0 for my older child. If I were to just buy version 1.0, what would be the difference? I know 2.0 is supposed to have extra lessons, but presumably the same material is covered, yes? What is the deal with "grading"? I was under the impression that TT was known for correcting wrong answers during lessons - does 2.0 just keep up with which ones it corrected where 1 does not?

Sorry, these answers may be obvious. I have run this around in my head until I've got both versions mixed up I think. I'm also really tired of hunting down curriculum :p I'm finding the first version for about 1/2 the price of the 2.0. I'm wondering if the "extras" are worth paying double....

Absolutely. They show you how to correct the problem. I am not one for having the latest and greatest for everything.

Frankly, it can be wasteful and unneccesary. That being said, I 100% believe TT 2.0 is worth the extra money!!!!!!!!

I talked to the creator of the program last year at a convention. I thanked him for the new version and told him to keep

going till they were all redone. He laughed and said that was what all the moms were telling him.

I think all of the lower levels are now auto-graded, but geometry & are are not. We have used both.

For the older versions (not auto-graded) the answers are not entered into the computer - they are done on paper & you check them with the answer key. The solution CDs have complete explanations for all the problems if you need to see it.

This year we are doing geometry (which right now has no 2.0 version), and I liked that I could give partial credit - with auto-grading it is either right or wrong. Though my son missed the "buddies" that do interesting things when you type in the right answer...

This fall we will be starting Algebra II, and I am trying to decide between the version 1 or 2.0. I think partial credit is also a valid thing for algebra becuase a very long problem could be nearly all correct, but one very small error will give an incorrect answer & be marked all wrong with auto-grade.

I like the new topics which have been added to version 2.0, but I am really leaning toward 1.0. Partial credit is 1 reason, but also I really don't like that many of the 2.0 questions are multiple choice. I'm sure that is fine for a lot of kids, but it is too tempting for my son to only partially solve a problem then "guess the choice that looks like it will be correct". This happened quite a bit with algebra 1 2.0.

Another factor is $, but it's the multiple-choice issue that really has me leaning to just the old version.

Multiple choice would be a HUGE problem for my son as well. :D To keep him focused, I have him watch the lecture on the cd,

then do the actual lesson away from the computer. He only goes back on to enter in his work and correct any he gets wrong.

This prevents any "guessing"; his work is already written out and shown in his workbook.