Menu

Need grammar suggestions...R&S or FLL4?

Hello,

I am trying to make a decision for grammar for my will be 5th grader. We completed the first half of FLL 3 during the last half of her 3rd grade year. Then, this year (4th grade) we are using Essentials in Writing 4. However, she is not liking it nearly as much as she did FLL, and the grammar is just not sticking. So I have decided that we need to make a change, but I'm not sure if I should have her go back and complete FLL 4 before moving into R&S for the long haul, or just jump in to R&S. And if we go w/ R&S, what level should I start her at?

I am also wondering whick R&S book I should start my will be 8th grader at. He worked through the 3rd and part of the 4th grade books several years ago. He is now working through Essentials in Writing level 7, but it is just not sticking with him, either. I would greatly appreciate any advice you can offer. :0)

Well, in my opinion I don't think EIW as enough grammar throughout the entire year. If you want your children diagramming, EIW doesn't offer that either. I know he states that there is enough grammar in his writing programs but I don't totally agree. Maybe that's the case in the younger years but as they get older I think they need more. We also use EIW but we also use a separate grammar program. It hasn't been too much for my dd's. We just finished EIW 4 & EIW 7. When my middle dc was in 3rd grade we used FLL3 and she retained a lot. She wasn't too fond of its repetition and scripted style, though. I wish I had stayed with FLL for 4th grade but instead we moved her into GWG4. I'm not seeing great results in grammar from her as I did in FLL.....We may go through FLL4 for 5th grade and use Jr. Analytical Grammar. My dd12 used Analytical Grammar Season 1 this year and is working through the Review Book every other week to keep her fluent with it. She will use AG Season 2 & 3 for 8th along with EIW8. I don't have any help for you about R&S.....their spelling was a flop for my 4th grader b/c of its workbook style! We are loving Phonetic Zoo though! Oh, and just to add....we have been using these books for my 1st and 4th grader in grammar for fun....they seem to enjoy them.....

I'd put the 5th grader in R&S 5 if you went the R&S route. I don't know where to put the 8th grader. The WTM book talks about placement for older children, and I can't remember if going to 6 would be ok or not. I'm sure someone else with upper book knowledge will chime in though. :)

If you did FLL, you'd still have to change programs the following year. So I personally would rather just pick what program I wanted to use for the middle school years and run with it.

5th grader: If you plan to go with R&S in the long run anyway, one curriculum switch is easier than two. An average fifth grader could start with the 5 book and do fine. If this DC struggles with grammar concepts I'd slow 5 down by spreading difficult lessons across two days (do oral drill one day and written the next).

8th grader: I have no idea what EIW covers. I'd probably start in the 6 book and move quickly. Have him start by using the chapter reviews until you find a chapter he can't pass and start there. An 8th grader could easily do two grammar lessons a day most of the time, and the writing lessons would probably be redundant and could just be skipped. If he takes to the grammar well he could be in the 7 book halfway through the year. The 7 book doesn't spend much time at all on older concepts before hauling into new ones. I wouldn't start a kid there without a solid grammar base.