Menu

Abeka Our American Heritage or Mystery of History Volume 1?

I was wondering if anyone has dealt with either of these history options and if so, what you think of them? I have a dyslexic 11 year old who is functioning on probably a 2nd grade reading level. He can read higher levels, but remembering what he has read is an issue, as is fluency. I have been and likely will continue to read aloud the text to him for subjects such as history, so I am not looking for something he can read alone.

I am however looking for options that give plenty of opportunities for expansion, hands-on crafts, notebooking/lapbooking etc. I like the format of the Abeka Our American Heritage book from the sample I looked at online. I like that it reads more as a story and I did want to focus on American History at some point. It is also easier to read, so he could do some of the reading as well and the reading selections aren't too long. However, he is doing 3rd grade reading and then 4th grade math this year. I don't have him in a clearly defined "grade" because of his dyslexia. I will move him to 4/5 based next year and am worried this may be too young, but there is a dramatic jump in the amount of reading/understanding in the next level up for Abeka history. Would this level work for an older child?

I also like Mystery of History. I do like that it works biblical history in with world history, although that is not a key requirement for the curriculum I choose. I also like that you can purchase a notebooking pack to go with it. I worry that it doesn't focus on American History, but that is always something we can hit in later years too.

Any ideas on which of these might work best for a dyslexic child who is new to homeschooling and is in remedial programs for phonics, reading and spelling right now?

I actually have that sitting here, pulled from my "to sell" box.

I think it would be a decent spine, I have been all over with American History, and hit the BUY button on HO Middle Ages instead. Solves that problem right?! :p

My 13yo has major special needs, but oddly can read higher these days than the rest of her stuff. We aren't sure why, but we aren't complaining either! I think she would enjoy the book, and it wouldn't bother her it was a younger grade. If she said something I would just tell her it was our spine and throw in extras to add to it.

I have no experience with MOH, so I can't compare, but picking something that can have "fun" with it will indeed help.

How does he do with audio books? If you can go with harder stuff that way, you open a bunch of paths up.

My high school ds LOVES MOH. He said it was the only history he has done that has not put him to sleep. However, I would never do this with a younger child. Upper middle school or high school will get the most from these books. The younger age activities, in my opinion, are just busy work crafts. The meat of MOH are the notes given and the research she has them do.

If you are looking for hands on history, look at Time traveler cds, these are chocked fill of hands on and lapbook work.

I have not used that Abeka book, but Abeka is solid and will provide a great spine.

Thanks everyone! I actually had him do a DORA assessment today to gauge where we are now and he has made some progress with reading comprehension. He is now working at a 4th grade level there, so although it may take him a half hour to read a short 4th grade level passage, he is understanding it. He is also working on grade level with vocal vocabulary. His phonics and word recognition are far below grade level, but if I am reading the content to him, it should not interfere with his ability to understand the content.

I was going to supplement the Our American History with other biographies/books and unit studies found online, but will look into Time Traveler curriculum too, it sounds like it may be an option as well. I will hold off on MOH for a few years then.

I just got this book from amazon (my Sam's normally has it - maybe in the fall....) http://amzn.com/1561896799 It was another recommendation as a spine. I think I'm apt to use it, and going to skip the Abeka for now. Back into my box of stuff to sell! There is definitely more history in it than the Abeka. I'm going to school full time, so while I'm sure I could pull enough in with the Abeka - I just won't have TIME in the next 11 weeks. I'm going to concentrate on slowly adding to my other time periods for books on the shelf and add in when we get to HO Early Modern.

I'm honestly not 100% we will start with Middle Ages either, I've spent the morning rearranging bookshelves and painting, and I have sooooo much for Ancients that we never got to, that I think I might just start there.