Menu

Apps on the Kindle Fire for learning disabilities

I'm sure I'm not the first to ask, but I'm not very handy with the search feature on this forum. I'm thinking of getting a Kindle Fire. DH says I either get a Kindle Fire, or I get the porch swing I've been eyeing. *sigh* Anyways, that decision aside, are there a healthy number of apps on the KIndle Fire for learning disabilities? Specifically, I would be looking for math apps for kids with dyscalculia and low number sense. Apps for logic and critical thinking, as well.

You might wish to consider an Android tablet instead of the Kindle. On the latter you are limited to Amazon's App Store only, which has less than 10% the number of apps of Google's Play Store. With an Android tablet, you have access to the Play Store, the Amazon App Store, and also have the option to install apps directly from developers. However, if viewing Prime movies is a deal breaker, your only current official option is the Fire or an Apple device (though with a bit of tweaking, Prime movies can be viewed on Android tablets as well).

I don't know about apps specifically for discalculia, but there are many logic games available at the Play Store.

Movies is not a deal breaker...that's not even on my horizon. But e-books and learning apps definitely are on my horizon. I was kicking around the idea of just getting an ipad...but the price difference is huge. I'll have to look at the android tablets.

There are more iPad apps specifically geared to kids with dyscalculia, but I'd wager that most of the activities in those apps can be found on other platforms.

So I'm pretty tech-dumb. Which kind of Android would I be looking at? And where do I buy one?

There's the Nexus 7 (Google branded, made by ASUS -- $200/$250 for WiFi only), which can be purchased direct from Google or at GameStop (probably other places as well). If you have a Gamestop near you, you can go check it out. Samsung (Galaxy Tab 2, 7" from $250, can be found for $200 -- display is not as nice as the Nexus 7, but will take a micro SD card, which the Nexus won't) and ASUS also make good quality Android tablets in a variety of sizes. I would strongly recommend against "cheap" tablets other than by these manufacturers: they have less robust hardware and usually have inferior quality touch screens with a lower resolution, and often have buggy overlying software.

We have two Nexus 7 tablets and are very happy with them. ASUS is coming out with a $150 Android tablet in the next couple months.