Menu

Help! My cookbook is packed and I need a recipe. Joy of Cooking anyone?

Harriet Vane

We recently moved to temporary lodgings and most of our stuff is in storage. Dd wants to make gingerbread for Easter, but my Joy of Cooking is in the POD. Ds is lactose intolerant, so we usually use the gingerbread recipe with applesauce. (It makes a cake, not cookies or house.) Can someone look it up for me? Pretty please?

This doesn't look like it... I have Joy of Cooking, but it's a very old edition (my mom's old edition from when I was a child... maybe you have a newer version?)

I only see 3 things in index for gingerbread... none contain applesauce...

This is the Gingerbread recipe (p636 in edition published in 71)

Preheat oven to 350.

Melt in heavy pan and let cool 1/2 c butter

Beat together well:

1/2 c sugar

1 beaten egg

Sift

2 1/2 c sifted all-purpose flour

1 1/2 tsp soda

1 tsp each cinnamon and ginger

1/2 tsp salt

(1 T grated orange rind)

Combine:

1/2 c light molasses

1/2 c honey

1 c hot water

Add the sifted and liquid ingredients alternately to the butter mixture until blended. Bake in a greased pan about 1 hour.

There's also a recipe for wheatless gingerbread (9" round cake) and a high altitude gingerbread (in addition to discussion on how to make a house and cookies). But that's all I see in this edition.....

Applesauce Gingerbread (Joy of Cooking, p 934)

Preheat oven to 325. Grease & flour one 8x8 pan or line the bottom with wax or parchment paper.

Bring to a boil in a medium saucepan:

1 cup applesauce

Remove from heat & stir in:

1/2 cup light molasses

1 tsp baking soda

The mixture will foam & bubble. Let cool slightly. Meanwhile, sift together:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 tsp ground ginger

3/4 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp cloves

1/4 tsp salt

In a large bowl, beat on high speed until thick & pale yellow, 3 to 4 minutes:

2 large eggs

2/3 cup sugar

Gradually beat in:

1/3 cup veg oil

Fold in the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the applesauce in 2 parts. Scrape the batter into the pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 min. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 min. Slide a thin knife around the cake to detach it from the pan. Invert the cake and peel off the paper liner if used. Let cool right side up on the rack.

Hope that helps & thanks for the yummy idea (my dh and kids are all lactose intolerant, too) :001_smile:

:) Well, that'll explain some of it... my book ends (last page of index) on p841!

My son's allergic to dairy (hives head to toe after eating baked milk at last allergy challenge...phooey).

Instead of butter, we just use Earth Balance sticks & they bake great.

:) Well, that'll explain some of it... my book ends (last page of index) on p841!

Lol, I have a couple of editions of Joy of Cooking, and could only find the recipe in the newer 1997 edition.

My son's allergic to dairy (hives head to toe after eating baked milk at last allergy challenge...phooey).

Instead of butter, we just use Earth Balance sticks & they bake great.

We're big fans of Earth Balance around here. :)

Preheat oven to 325. Grease & flour one 8x8 pan or line the bottom with wax or parchment paper.

Bring to a boil in a medium saucepan:

1 cup applesauce

Remove from heat & stir in:

1/2 cup light molasses

1 tsp baking soda

The mixture will foam & bubble. Let cool slightly. Meanwhile, sift together:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

1 tsp ground ginger

3/4 tsp cinnamon

1/4 tsp cloves

1/4 tsp salt

In a large bowl, beat on high speed until thick & pale yellow, 3 to 4 minutes:

2 large eggs

2/3 cup sugar

Gradually beat in:

1/3 cup veg oil

Fold in the flour mixture in 3 parts, alternating with the applesauce in 2 parts. Scrape the batter into the pan. Bake until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 40 to 45 min. Let cool in the pan on a rack for 10 min. Slide a thin knife around the cake to detach it from the pan. Invert the cake and peel off the paper liner if used. Let cool right side up on the rack.

Hope that helps & thanks for the yummy idea (my dh and kids are all lactose intolerant, too) :001_smile:

We have a winner! Thanks so much!!!

For others on the thread--yes, we use a lot of Earthbalance vegan butter. Good stuff.

Reviving this to say that I made the applesauce gingerbread recipe today. I'm sitting here eating my second piece...YUM! Hope there's enough left over for the care packages I intended to pack & mail to my kids today! :D

ETA: I used gluten free all purpose flour (Trader Joe's brand) w/o a problem.

:thumbup1: