Menu

Couple of questions about maps and crafts......

T'smom

I saw a pin on Pinterest that gave me the idea of mod podgeing a map onto a table. Is that really crazy? Browwind pinterest, It looks like people do mod podge things onto tables. I'm a little concerned that the finish wouldn't be very smooth and it would be irritating If you were writing at it? I don't have much experience with mod podge. I have this really large (3 ft by 5ft) kid size table that I bought at a library sale. It's old and ugly. And it's been sitting in the garage because I didn't have a place for it for a long time. It's too big for our school room, but I could put it in the basement and the kids could do messy crafts down there. (No more paint in the dining room! Yay!) Do you think this would work?

My other question would be if you have ny recommendations for really great maps? Something fun and colorful?

I know this is a crazy question! Thanks.

I love maps! I often see them at used book stores. I like old National Geographic maps. I have one of Africa that I love.

I used this stuff at Christmas to make coasters for my family. Its called Envirotex Lite. I bought it at Michaels. It could be a bit spendy to buy enough to cover a whole table, but it creates a perfectly clear, smooth, hard finish.

So, the idea is that you would mod podge your map to the table, let it dry, then pour this stuff on and let it harden for a few days.

I saw where someone had used that stuff on top of fabric that she had covered the table with. There was a mention of a problem with getting it smooth.....that there were bubbles? She got them out with a propane torch?!?! That freaked me out just a bit! But if other people used it without problems......I would love to have a nice, smooth, hard finish.

I saw where someone had used that stuff on top of fabric that she had covered the table with. There was a mention of a problem with getting it smooth.....that there were bubbles? She got them out with a propane torch?!?! That freaked me out just a bit! But if other people used it without problems......I would love to have a nice, smooth, hard finish.

A blow dryer works just as well! If you use plenty, there shouldn't be a problem with getting it smooth.