Menu

creative/challenging math resource for 11yo adv in math but still needs arith. practice?

My 11-year-old daughter loves math, and does better the more advanced it is, within reason. She readily and happily grasps Alg. 1 and Alg. 2 concepts, often working complex problems in her head. However, thanks to threads I have read on this forum, I am aware of the dangers of letting her skip ahead without solidifying her basic arithmetic skills--and they do need solidifying. I am holding her to her Saxon 7/6, which she is fine with. She doesn't hate it. She sees that she needs it. But she is starry-eyed at some of the "Nonroutine Problem-Solving" problems she has seen in Dolciani (which we plan to use for pre-alg), and in some puzzle and logic books. She really wants to skip ahead to Algebra or Geometry.

I would like to have a good resource for lots of these creative, higher-level, "nonroutine" problems, so that I can give her some of them to solve along with her "daily vitamin" of arithmetic work, in order to keep her interest and whet her appetite for what's coming once she solidifies her arithmetic skills.

Does anyone have any suggestions for us?

AoPS Alcumus, a free on-line problem-solving program. Set the "subject" to Prealgebra. You can also set the "topic" to something specific or to "follow the book" topics. (If she's very interested, there are also video lessons corresponding to the book topics.)

Depending on what you mean about solidifying arithmetic skills, you might consider letting her move forward on learning concepts while practicing aritmetic on the side, since she can sometimes solve complex problems in her head.

If you want something you can print out and give to her, there are some nice problems at the AGMath site, first drafts of the Competition Math book. (No answers, unless you buy the book, but she should be able to check herself by doing the problems two different ways, which is always a good habit.) Counting is a good place to start.

MathCounts is also a good source of problems. Some are routine, but some are very interesting. Check out their handbook and past competitions. And the problems of the week, too.

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I have already looked into Alcumus and I think it could be perfect. I can't wait to show it to my daughter. I am going to look into the other suggestions, too. Also, I appreciate the thought that perhaps we should consider moving on to more advanced concepts, while working on arithmetic on the side. I am giving this idea serious consideration. Thanks again for all the really helpful thoughts!

Thank you so much for the suggestions. I have already looked into Alcumus and I think it could be perfect. I can't wait to show it to my daughter. I am going to look into the other suggestions, too. Also, I appreciate the thought that perhaps we should consider moving on to more advanced concepts, while working on arithmetic on the side. I am giving this idea serious consideration. Thanks again for all the really helpful thoughts!

I look at this sort of like letting an advanced reader read books of a higher level, while still producing age-appropriate output.

Alcumus is great. The Zaccaro book is another great choice for a younger student who is eager for Algebra.