Menu

Starting child on spelling unit....if they only miss 1 word in a list, should I still start them there?

For spelling, I just downloaded an Evan Moor book.....I looked over the beginning units and went over some of the words with my 8 year old DD. I'm not exactly sure which unit to start her in....here's what she missed in each one.

Unit 1....2/15

Unit 2...1/15

Unit 3...1/15

Unit 4...2/15

Unit 5...1/15

Unit 6...1/15

Unit 7...4/15.

So it wasn't until unit 7 that she missed more than 1 or 2. Should I start her there? Or in the earlier units? It just seems silly for her to be doing all these activities and puzzles with words that she mostly already knows how to spell. I could just pull out all the words in units 1-6 that she missed....but then I don't have all the worksheets, puzzles, and stuff like that which I paid for in the book.

What do you guys do?

I'd take the missed words from all those units and try to create my own activity pages with them, even if it's nothing more than copying and pasting the activties from the original worksheets on to a new blank page. I would do that until I reached a unit where my child missed over half the words from the unit, and that would be where we started.