Menu

First Form Latin and First Logic

There had been some discussion a few weeks back about First Form Latin, Memoria Press's new middle school Latin program. I just returned from the Circe conference--which was amazing and I got to meet some ladies from this board!--and I picked up some info about happenings at Memoria Press.

First Form Latin is completed and will head to the printer by August 15 and will likely be available for purchase by Sept. 1. I also learned that Martin Cothran is currently writing First Logic, a new middle school logic program to precede Traditional Logic. No word on when that will be completed, but it is an exciting prospect.

Angelina,

What is your impression of the target market for First Form Latin? Is it intended to allow parents to defer Henle I back another year or so, or is it intended as a replacement for Henle?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

According to the scope and sequence on the Memoria Press website, First Form (and its sequels, Second, Third and Fourth Form Latin) will follow Latina Christiana 2 and will replace Henle I. AFter completing Fourth Form Latin, a student would go into Henle 2 (which is Caesar).

I haven't seen the books, but I was told by Martin Cothran that First Form was grammar and translation heavy, but not as heavy as Henle. First Form will also review all the grammar from LC1 and LC2 making it a good book for a middle school student taking Latin for the first time. I believe that the recommended grade is 6th grade if you've followed the MP Latin sequence. I can see this book being perfect for a first-time Latin student in 7th or 8th grade who doesn't want to tackle Henle but who is way too old for LC.

I'm really excited about the book and can't wait to see what kinds of translation work they've included. There is also an online class available for First Form as well.

Hope that helps.

I called MP last week and learned about First Form coming out in Sept. so it was not news to me. I'm interested but not excited because there is no info from MP about the program and NO samples yet.

I've been looking at using Henle, Latin Alive!, First Form or sticking with LCI&II for grade 6 this fall. I'm still up in the air!

I'm definitely curious to see the First Form Latin because we will be looking for something to follow LCII next year. My oldest ds has done very well with the format of LC because it is so predictable for him. I am hoping that First Form will be a lot like LC

You know, that is EXACTLY what my son likes about LC too. I think he can handle Henle, but given a choice, he would rather have a predictable weekly routine. That is one of the reasons I am so eager for this program.