Menu

Where to find genre, reading level, etc. for books..

kagmypts

I am working on putting together a reading list for DC for next year and am looking for a web site (or app) that will help give me information about a book. I would love if it included genre, reading level, and highlight any objectionable/heavy content. Does this exist?

Thank you!

Here's one that allows you to search by title or author, and provides genre, reading level (by grade and lexile), and a brief summary. It doesn't highlight objectionable content but it does provide an "appropriate" interest level (grade level) so it might help in that area: http://src.scholastic.com/bookexpert//detail_title.asp?UID=BEF4591F642040350A8341A53930F238&subt=0&item=51791

In the link I searched for "Farmer Boy" by Laura Ingalls Wilder just to give you an idea of what it provides.

Listening for more ideas!

Here's one that allows you to search by title or author, and provides genre, reading level (by grade and lexile), and a brief summary. It doesn't highlight objectionable content but it does provide an "appropriate" interest level (grade level) so it might help in that area: http://src.scholasti...bt=0&item=51791

In the link I searched for "Farmer Boy" by Laura Ingalls Wilder just to give you an idea of what it provides.

Listening for more ideas!

Here's another Scholastic page I had bookmarked, which includes much of the same info as above and also gives you similar books if you want a book like another that you previously enjoyed: http://www.scholasti...book/farmer-boy

Thank you so much. I will let you know if I find something that addresses questionable material or even mature themes. I was looking on the HOD web site, and it mentioned to preview a particular chapter in a book. Prior to buying the book, I am just wondering what the questionable/mature content is.

Thank you so much. I will let you know if I find something that addresses questionable material or even mature themes. I was looking on the HOD web site, and it mentioned to preview a particular chapter in a book. Prior to buying the book, I am just wondering what the questionable/mature content is.

Would you mind sharing the title of the book? Or perhaps look for it on Amazon, maybe the "preview" feature there, or perhaps some of the customer reviews might give some insight?

Would you mind sharing the title of the book? Or perhaps look for it on Amazon, maybe the "preview" feature there, or perhaps some of the customer reviews might give some insight?

There were two books, but I would love to be able to look it up on my own without always having to ask here. Here are the titles of the two currently in question:

Emily's Runaway Imagination, by Beverly Cleary, 1990 Harper Trophy

ISBN 0380709236

** Note - You may want to skip Chapter 6 "The Scary Night" when you read aloud or preview it to determine how suitable it is for your listener.

[i just read through all of the Amazon reviews, and one of them mentioned "drunkenness" being mentioned.]

Little Pilgrim's Progress, by Helen Taylor, Moody 2006

ISBN: 978-0802449245

Note: The stories contain some vivid content.

I looked up the book reviews on Amazon, and unfortunately I was unable to figure out exactly what the source of the warning may be. Also, I saw Stone Fox on the reading list, and I would just like to know that it deals with death. It's not that I am looking to shelter my kids from everything, but I would like to know the subject matter before ordering a book. Thanks again!

PS - I may email the librarian at my kids' school to see if she may have any ideas. She's amazing - I may venture to say she's the school's biggest asset!