Menu

Profmom, Can you tell me...

How it has been like for your dd who is taking classes in CTY2 right now? My ds is in CTY1 this year, and we are debating whether he should continue with Y2 next year. Although ds loves the teachers, classmates, and the classes, it has been time consuming. Since he is a serious pianist and may want to pursue it in college, he needs more time to practice. Any thoughts or input from you and your dd would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Sorry! I'm just now seeing this!

CTY2 is very time-consuming! Dd is taking most everything at TPS -- CT, Chemistry (+ problem solving), Algebra II (+ problem solving), and Spanish II. So, corners could be cut in amount of overall time spent on school by using co-ops or other sources for the non-CT classes. Lately, I've been having her keep a time log so we can evaluate how much time it is really taking vs. what it seems -- and it was seeming like all she ever did was school. I'll see if I can get some totals from her and post again.

Whether or not to continue or leave the CT is a very tough decision! Dd has been very stressed over the past month or so with the research paper and the ancient philosophy they've been reading and discussing (difficult reading). So, we started comparing options. We looked at Belhaven High Scholars and decided we liked the CT book list (and writing instruction) better -- they have much in common, but CT has more literature. Just when we thought we were sure to go with CTY3, we looked at what she might take if she took regular TPS classes. Surprisingly, we have enrolled her in regular classes, including AP World History, and plan to have her take a couple more AP classes by the time she graduates. It's nice having the option of AP and having time for an elective or two! (Mrs. Howat said that they are prepared for one of the AP English exams after CTY4 though.) Now, there's a 7 day grace period for changing all that without fees, so there's a small chance we'd change back to CT. However, dd really likes the schedule we have planned.

I am happy with it too, but I did have second thoughts last night! She took a 3rd quarter exam that covered all the ancient philosophy that she'd been struggling with and feels great about it! She really studied (I think she said 8.5 hours yesterday), but she understands it and was ready. (Studying 8.5 hours for one exam isn't the norm, but it was over material that she hadn't grasped well before.) I was surprised and impressed by how tough and deep the questions were -- and excited that she was able to think and write well on those philosophical topics! I definitely feel CT is a quality program.

Dd says he should do CTY2! She has really enjoyed Mr. Crosby for history and Mrs. Howard for literature & philosophy. She says the 9 hours she studied yesterday for the 3rd quarter exam isn't the norm, but it was over more difficult material this time. She says there's an hour of reading each day, minimum, plus about a half hour for history. On top of that is everything else -- forum posts, papers, quizzes, exams. It's hard to say how much time those take because they vary.

Thanks so much, Profmom, for posting! I figured you had probably missed my post.

I have had sleepless nights thinking about continuing with CT. Like I said, ds loves it, and I concur that it is a wonderful program. By the time a student finishes all 4 years of CT, he or she will be a very well informed, educated, and prepared person in many more ways than one! I have specifically asked Mrs. Howard about how many hours is needed for CT2, and she said about 13.5 hours between her and Mr. Crosby per week. Dr. Kauk, who teaches the Bible Survey class, says for a full high school credit, a student could spend up to 8 hours for his class. Wow! That's a lot of hours between the CT classes and the Bible Survey. Has your dd complaint about spending that many hours on her Bible Survey class? Despite of all this information, my ds still wants to take CT classes. He loves all the Bible stuff, and the Starting Points is his favorite class. I think he wants to be in a classroom where he knows the teachers and students, and the comradeship is important to him right now.

Like you, I have been thinking about when can ds take an AP class or two. If he stays in the CT, there's is little time for any AP if any. Plus, my thinking is that they work/study hard in the history part of CT, but they can't take an AP exam to go with it. The AP English is usually taken in 11th or 12th grade. Think of it this way, for CTY2, they require approx. 21.5 hours of study every week. If ds spends that much time, he could study for 2 AP courses, because usually an AP course takes anywhere between 8-10 of study every week, plus or minus. One of the moms on this board pointed out something important. She said that ideally a student should have taken as many AP's as possible before his Junior year so that the scores can be reported to the colleges when applying for admission. If the AP's are taken in the Senior year, the scores won't be out until July after they have graduated, so it won't help with admission. I am still unsure about CT2 although we have signed up for it. In addition, ds has to take Chemistry, French 3, and Algebra 2. Oh, he also has to take Prep Logic this summer. I'm telling you, he is going to be buried in his work next year!

Good for you that you took the plunge and got out of CT! My concern is that they leave you with no room and or time for AP courses or electives of your choice. Nowadays, it's difficult to be accepted into a selective college without a few AP's and/or SAT Subject tests. Don't get me wrong, I am grateful for the CT teachers and that my ds is learning a lot.

I was told at the end of the CTY4, the students are ready to take AP Lang & Comp and AP World History, provided they get one of those prep books and study it. Again, that's at the end of their Senior year, so that won't help. What about U.S. Gov't and Econ courses? We are required to take them. Well, they are not in the CT curriculum right now, but I was told that the History teachers are working on getting them approved for the CT right now. However, if they are not approved, I would have to add those in for ds before his Senior year. I am just torn about this whole thing! I mean, I could have ds take the APUSH next year if he wasn't in CTY2. But, I am going to let ds do one more year of CT and see what happens. He did say that he will think about it some more before the 7 day grace period is over. The bottom line is, I want him to be happy too, so hopefully, in the end it will all work out.

Thanks for listening. It's nice to be able to talk about this to someone who understands. I guess there aren't many or any other people who do Classical Track on this board.