Menu

How far will Killgallon take us in writing?

AimeeM

We are using the elementary series now (sentence composing and story grammar) and it's going GREAT - seriously, the best writing output I've seen from DD yet (and we've tried over half a dozen writing programs).

If I want to continue with the middle school Killgallon series next year, will it prepare her for upper level middle school writing if she transfers back into Catholic school in a couple years (as is the plan), or do I need to switch gears eventually?

Kilgallon is awesome for encouraging rich interesting sentences. However, at some point during middle school, you'll want to work on paragraphs and essays and you'll need something else.

She's dyslexic. Essays are a while off still.

The middle school Killgallon is paragraphs right? (paragraphs for middle school)

I haven't seen the middle school book, but the paragraphs for high school book wasn't very impressive in terms of teaching paragraph organization.

For a dyslexic middle schooler, consider adding in EPS Paragraph Book. The sentence structure work in those books is really simplified, but the paragraph organization focus is straightforward. It won't be a stretch after Killgallon, but will get the job done.

I would still be working on paragraphs and essays with a dyslexic child. You could write for her, but she still needs practice organizing and expanding her thoughts.

My son has language processing issues so I do the writing for him or we take turns writing sentences, and he is able to produce writing far above the level he would be at if I made him write it all.

Tara