Menu

How much history is covered in the CC Challenge programs?

I have a year to decide whether the Challenge program at Classical Conversations is something we want to pursue. We have a great community, but it is relatively new. What is holding me back is not really understanding what will be covered in high school. I realize it is unconventional in its approach, and I am fine with that. After looking at the scope and sequence and catalog, I am concerned that there may be a lack of history on the high school level. I don't really see any texts that would teach history in any systematic way. Can someone explain to me how history is covered in Challenge I-IV? Is it a comprehensive study, or would I need to add something separately? We don't currently have Challenge I-IV at our campus, so I have no one to ask. Thanks.

You probably want to look at this handout (pages 3-5): http://www.classical...allengeFAQs.pdf . And then also this one (page 2): http://www.classical...llengeflier.pdf. The history is definitely there, but is more integrated and perhaps lighter if you are looking at it from a WTM standpoint. And keep in mind that they do a lot of reading and writing in Challenge. Some students will have plenty to do without you adding in more, and some will need more.

Because there are really no texts in the CC catalog, I am assuming that history topics are researched from any source provided by the parent. I would really love it if CC would provide a bare bones syllabus for people to view. It is easy to see what literature is studied. History is just a big mystery. Thanks for the links.

Such a good question -- one that I've had I have been involved with Classical Conkversations for over 6 years. I've tutored Challeng A and Challeng B. The handouts do provide some info, but let try to fill in some other info for you.

Challeng A: no real history is studies, however geography is a huge focus. By the end of the year students will know where in the world the countries, capitals, major rivers, mountain ranges, lakes, oceans, etc. are! The goal is to draw and label the world by memory -- and many kids can do it! They also study a large number of geography terms.

Challenge B: No real history is studies, however great scientists are studied/researched in chronological order. Students learn about the scientists, their major contributions to the field of science, and why their discoveries/inventions were important. Many challenge B classes do a history timeline of all the important people/dates they encounter in any of their classes (literature, science, etc.). Current events are studied during the first semester -- something that is usually not covered during the elementary years. Kids also develop a better understanding about how the U.S. court system works during the mock trial seminar.

Challenge I: American literature is studied. Lots of wonderful historical fiction and non-fiction is included! Alongside this lit study is a study of American government and economics. Students study a American documents in an historical context. Founding documents and Founding Fathers of the U.S. are emphasized. Government and economics is a required course in many states.

Challenge II: British Literature is studied alompngside the study of Western civilization/culture. Again: lots of historical fiction and non-fiction. Text: "How then Should We Live?" This book chronicals western society from Ancient Rome to the present. Art history text: "The Annotated Mona Lisa", "State of the Arts", and "Classical Music for Dummies". Not a traditional, chronological study of history, but a deep investigation of western society from ancient times to current day. These things are discussed alongside literature, art, music, and cultural history-- all within a Biblical worldview.

Challenge III: American history from the 1500s to present day. Text: "A Patriot's History of the United States". Over 900 pages long.

Challenge IV: World History. Text: "The Discovers". Look this book up on Amazon. It sounds absolutely fascinating. The Old testament is studied in great detail and students also study ancient literature.

I've pecked this message on my iPad and I don't have time to proof read. Please excuse any typos!

Thanks for going into all the details, Angela. Because we are a new community, our challenge students have not had the benefit of foundations. For most of them, this is their first exposure to Latin and IEW. Many have been overwhelmed by those two subjects, in particular. My daughter's class will be the first to have the benefit of 3 years of foundations. We are thinking this will make a huge difference in the way the work is perceived. I would really like to finish my 4 year history cycle in 7th and 8th grade. Do you think it is too much to add history and/or more science to the mix in A and B? I have a science oriented daughter, so I want to be able to schedule biology a year early and add advanced biology as well. Is this doable or is the work in Challenge A all she will be able to complete? Thanks for your time.

Yes, there are many variables here. Mine came up through Foundations and Essentials, and didn't find Challenge A overwhelming like some of the kids did. I heard all of the horror stories, but they just weren't true for us. I don't think we ever had a time where there were tears or significant drama over getting it all done. They worked hard, but it was doable. I also added some work, but I was ready to pull back at times and I kept it reasonable.

I always thought we'd go the whole way with CC, but we hit the point where the levels and mix of subjects wasn't a good fit. So I'd recommend planning different possibilities for yourself. I wish now that I had done that. We had to scramble to figure out what their schooling was going to look like without CC.

My son is currently in Challenge A. Most families do stick with the Challenge A coursework, but there have been plenty of students who can handle more. My son is doing history here at home, additional reading, and fine arts. Ch. A work generally takes 4-6 hrs. per day. We usually tack on about 30-45 minutes of history study a day and do an art or music activity every week.