Menu

FLL 3 - need student and teacher's book?

mommyto4QT

You know, I started off with the teacher's book and the student's book. But then I realized we were going to skip so many pages and go quickly through it ... so I decided to have ds write on scrap paper or the white board. Then I could save the student book for my dd. She is actually using it now and I'm honestly finding that we can use the board or scrap paper again. For our situation, the diagram lines are a problem. It is better for my dc to construct the diagram on the paper/board. Then I can see if they really get it.

I share this only for a different perspective. I think that most people probably like having the student book.

I like having the teacher's book and separate student pages for FLL3.

We are almost done FLL3. I purchased the teacher's book and bought the PDF for the student pages. I do the lessons with both my children at the same time and found it helpful that they each had their own "workbook". And yes, I did print out all the pages, double sided. I keep them in a folder with two pockets one side for finished lessons and one side for the new lessons. In between there was space for three hole punched paper and that is where we kept our memorization work (there are so many lessons that there are two folders for each child for the year). I didn't discover until mid way through the year that the definitions were printed out at the end as well as lists of prepositions, etc. Now those are in with the memorization work (and they're helpful--when my children are having issues with any review we can refer back to them.).

I'm not sure how I would have done this work WITHOUT the student pages. Granted, there wasn't always a lot of writing but it was helpful for the children to have the student pages without all the teacher's instruction on them. I didn't purchase the actual workbooks b/c I have a good laser printer and I heard that others didn't like how thick the student page books were. . .but if I didn't have the laser writer I would have gotten the workbooks and then took off the spine and made it into two booklets.

We do skip some lessons (like the comprehension lessons) and the copywork.

For WWE, I do not use the student pages but use composition books instead because I found the student pages not necessary.

I'll contrast. I'm using level 3 with only the instructor text this year. The student text is not absolutely necessary, but most would probably appreciate having it.

I don't draw every diagram for DD, and we never do those itty-bitty baby step diagramming lessons as written. We use whiteboards or blank paper for DD's work, and she reads the lists right out of my book. We've had no problems thus far. My older DD used the workbook due to the recommendations here, so I do know what I'm missing. For our family the ability to customize the work is worth going without the convenience of the workbook. Grammar lessons are still short and effective.