Menu

those thinking about doing HOD high school

HI, I am thinking a lot about high school these days as I have an 8th grader. I have three students using HOD and thinking about high school for them. Do any of you who are considering HOD for high school worry about it being it new? Since no one has gone through this program, there is no "success" story as to being college ready, there is no talk about SAT, ACT testing and how students will fair on these tests. I really like HOD and my kids really kids it too! But there are other programs that have good "success" stories from students that have been through their programs. Guess I am scared about my kids being the guinea pigs. I am NOT bashing HOD I am just looking for others point of view.

Thanks for any discussion.

pam

I'm using HOD with my youngest, so have a ways before high school. However, my oldest (now in his second year of college) used something very similar to what the HOD guides looks to be. EXCEPT I painfully pieced all of his together and HOD looks so much better, better organized, no missed skills, etc. I truly believe using HOD as it's written will more than prepare a student for college. That said, with any program, I think it's good to get a practice SAT/ACT book, work through it, take the practice tests, take the test itself junior year (for scholarships) and senior year to try to improve the score. Because, honestly, above all else when entering most colleges, test score is 99% of what matters. When my ds applied to colleges all they wanted was the test score. Then, if the score was acceptable, they wanted a transcript with GPA. hth.

eta: I especially think HOD will work for the student that has used it long term. If coming in late, then IDK. But for a student that knows how HOD teaches, knows how to narrate, use critical thinking, etc they'll do fine.