Menu

s/o non-traditional high school

I'm trying to come up with a list of project ideas that can be done independantly by my boys as they enter high school. (Oldest is a math geek and second is more into engineering design.)

I figure some subjects I'll "teach" - math, some science, writing, latin. Other subjects, such as history, I'll give them a lot of freedom in picking what they want to read. I want to build in some time that has to be "school learning" but is essentially student driven learning. Depending on what it is, I'll probably find a catagory to put it under.

It's easy for me to make a list of extra books/subjects that can fall under independent school reading, but I'm looking for project ideas or other non-reading work that can count as school.

Here are some of my ideas:

Experiments - desing and carry out any experiment and then write it up

building any kind of project/engineering design

Electrical projects

Participating in bill paying/budgeting for several months to learn more about personal finance

teaching company videos

My second son is good at coming up with ideas if I tell him he can do anything that falls under learning, otherwise I'll assign him more work. My oldest needs choices spelled out - but I'm not the best at coming up with ideas.

Please help me come up with some ideas! Thanks.