Menu

Math (insert scream) help 4th grader struggling

lots-o-rice

Ok, my 4th grader (math struggler) just completed MUS Delta chapter 19 (long division -which he kind of gets) He just got 3 right on his last review page. (the worst he has done in a while, but not terribly uncommon) He barely is hanging on to the long division concept, but managed to get that part right, ALL the review and word problems were wrong.

He totally forgot how to do multiplication with more than 2 numbers, conversions (ie-feet to yards) and any word problem.

Should I:

1- bang my head on the wall and lament over my horrible math teaching ability

2- go back and find review of the review drills on each skill missed and spend a few weeks getting the skills down, again, again.

3- explain for the 7000000th time how to do each of the missed problems and have him take the test

4- find a new curriculum (even though I have used MUS for 8 years)

5- use a supplement for a while and come back (what supplement?)

All suggestions are helpful! In the meantime, I'll have him do spelling and go drink more coffee.

Thanks!!

I really like using manipulatives for learning concepts. With division, I found base 10 blocks to be excellent for showing the problem, then writing the steps.

I'd back track for a while and review with manipulatives and lots more practice before testing.

:grouphug:

Ok, my 4th grader (math struggler) just completed MUS Delta chapter 19 (long division -which he kind of gets) He just got 3 right on his last review page. (the worst he has done in a while, but not terribly uncommon) He barely is hanging on to the long division concept, but managed to get that part right, ALL the review and word problems were wrong.

He totally forgot how to do multiplication with more than 2 numbers, conversions (ie-feet to yards) and any word problem.

Should I:

1- bang my head on the wall and lament over my horrible math teaching ability

No. :)

2- go back and find review of the review drills on each skill missed and spend a few weeks getting the skills down, again, again.

3- explain for the 7000000th time how to do each of the missed problems and have him take the test

4- find a new curriculum (even though I have used MUS for 8 years)

5- use a supplement for a while and come back (what supplement?)

All suggestions are helpful! In the meantime, I'll have him do spelling and go drink more coffee.

Thanks!!

Long division is tough for many children. Taking a break when you are feeling like you are is very helpful. Number 1 will not help you, but all other options you list might.

How about something like Khanacademy for someone else to explain in another way while you are frustrated?

My ds got partial quotient division first (we learned it from Khan), and then went back later and learned the traditional long division method.

I also like Math Mammoth's approach on long division which is to write out all the products first and then work through the division process.