Menu

sequential spelling vs aas

EmilyGF

I tried SS before going to AAS. It was a bad fit for my son because he didn't have much phonics instruction under his belt (taught himself to read), and because he wanted to know "why". He's a rules based kid. AAS was a better fit, though it was too slow for him. He's.now excelling in R&S, which is rules based.

Now if I had a kid that wasn't rules based, I'd first look at Apples and Pears from Sound Foundations. It is quite good.

My son zoomed through All About Spelling. He knew most of the rules, but he had trouble applying them. SS has not solved all of our problems, but it is helping. Because most of the daily lists include the same root word or sound, it is getting drilled in. SS requires each word be corrected before moving to the next word, so if he misses the first word or two, he has it down by the end of the list. If he didn't already know the rules, it might be frustrating. If I were you, I'd keep a list of rules handy.

We have used both. dd has horrible spelling (related to some 2E issues). The rules in AAS were good for her and she did great spelling in her lessons, but they were not ever used in contextual writing. We switched to the sequential spelling videos, starting at level 1. She is about 15 lessons in to level 2 now. She does well in her lessons, just like she did in AAS. The difference I see is that her spelling in context has improved. I would like to think it is the curriculum/approach is a better match for her. There may, however, also just be an element of time in her improvement.

Have you used both of these?

I DO use both of these programs. My 11 yro and 10 yro use Sequential Spelling. Every morning, they write the list words on a dry erase board in cursive (it takes maybe 10 minutes). It gives them a chance to practice spelling and cursive. I only use the TM, though. I'm pretty sure it said somewhere that SS was for 5th grade and beyond. I'm actually thinking about stopping spelling, though. They just know how to spell everything now (which is good). :tongue_smilie: I do like Sequential Spelling. :thumbup1: Very easy to use.

My 8 yro uses AAS. She still needs phonics rules to spell. Also, there is some dictation in the TM and that makes a huge difference. Her spelling and writing are so much better than the older kids' spelling and writing at the same age (they used workbook-type spelling programs).

Thanks for the responses. DS 8 loves rules - I'm sticking with AAS for him. However, my gut tells me DS 6 will hate AAS and spend the time flopped over in her chair. I'd rather not have to fight about it! She is totally an intuitive type, and though I'm familiar with explicit rules (and was happy to finally learn them as an adult), she might do better with a pattern-based spelling program.

Any other thoughts?

Emily