Menu

AAS grade equivalence?

Mama2two

It will always depend on your child if course. AAS has been used for older children who are poor spellers. That being said, there are about 27 lessons in each book so if you have spelling for 36 weeks, you will be moving faster through the levels. I start spelling when my kids can read without difficulty and do every lesson without skipping. I just started level 4 with my 8 1/2 year old.

Beth

I looked for the same thing recently, unsuccessfully. Here's the only stuff I could find. Note, we are NOT very far into Level 1 yet, so this is not based on my personal experience - just what I have read.

I have seen the target audience listed as K-8 in some places, and as 1-12 in others. All students are supposed to begin in Level 1, regardless of age. Older beginners will usually complete 2-4 levels the first year, then usually do one level per year after that.

Sonlight has this:

- Level 1 - 6 to 11 year olds

- Level 2 - 7 to 11 year olds

- Level 3 - 8 to 11 year olds

- Level 4 - 9 to 11 year olds

- Level 5 - 10 & 11 year olds

- Level 6 - 11 year olds

- Level 7 - 11 year olds

Based on that, I *assume* that the levels roughly correspond to grades, even though you need to start at Level 1 no matter the student's age.

We breezed through the 1st level but then it has taken us a while to go through level 2 and then now we are in level 3 in 3rd grade. I think a good indicator is the levels themselves - seems like the level is appropriate for the grade as well, for instance, Level 1 is 1st grade, Level 2 is 2nd, etc. At least that is what we are finding!

Thanks MeganW, I was wondering if they were roughly grade equivalent also since it says on the website you would be a high school level (9th grade?).

Anyone else have any thoughts?

Here they actually say "grade" instead of level, and have them listed as grades 1-7.

http://www.allaboutlearningpress.com/free-spelling-lists

I see too, though, where they say that by the end of Level 7 of the program "the student will be spelling at the high school level". I think that just means "done" - I don't think most people do spelling in late middle / high school.