Menu

What's everyones plans for 8th grade Algebra?

My dd is almost finished with Saxon 8/7 with Art Reed 3rd edition.....she is in 7th grade.....

I'm thinking of giving her a break with Saxon for a couple weeks and just review some topics if necessary with Khan Academy. Then I'm going to let her start Algebra 1 but I'm unsure which edition of Saxon I should use. 3rd or 4th? I do like how 4th edition is set as Alg. 1, Geometry, Alg.2...instead of geometry folded in Alg. 1 & 2. Can anyone comment on the 4th editions? Or can anyone suggest another math program (spiral/incremental) that my dd wouldn't have trouble with phasing in from Saxon?

Thanks a bunch!

After having finished pre-algebra with Saxon, she should be able to do just about any Algebra 1 program.

If you're going to stick with Saxon, I'd stick with the more traditional way with alg/geom combined. The strength of the program, Imo, is in the incremental method, and breaking it up sort of ruins the incremental method.

If you want alg/geo/alg 2, I would switch to something else. There are loads of options, but if you want dvd support (based on your art reed comment) two of the good options are chalkdust and math without borders.

I agree with Kiana, There are so many options. However I know its a big decision, one which I highly recommend including your DD in at this point. Make it fun demo'ing a few select options which you narrow it down to. Then who knows, she may decide she likes Saxon best. Or she may find its time for a break and having something new might rejuvinate her at this important stage. I will recommend a few good ones. But it really depends mostly on her and also you, how she learns best and how much you want to outsource vs. lecture, etc...

Foerster and Math w/o Borders video lessons

Derek Owens

TabletClass which we are using now for Pre-A

Jacobs with Dr. Callahan video lessons

AoPS

After having finished pre-algebra with Saxon, she should be able to do just about any Algebra 1 program.

If you're going to stick with Saxon, I'd stick with the more traditional way with alg/geom combined. The strength of the program, Imo, is in the incremental method, and breaking it up sort of ruins the incremental method.

If you want alg/geo/alg 2, I would switch to something else. There are loads of options, but if you want dvd support (based on your art reed comment) two of the good options are chalkdust and math without borders.

Thank you for your suggestions. We will look into those together.......I'd rather have the video lessons as would my dd!

I agree with Kiana, There are so many options. However I know its a big decision, one which I highly recommend including your DD in at this point. Make it fun demo'ing a few select options which you narrow it down to. Then who knows, she may decide she likes Saxon best. Or she may find its time for a break and having something new might rejuvinate her at this important stage. I will recommend a few good ones. But it really depends mostly on her and also you, how she learns best and how much you want to outsource vs. lecture, etc...

Foerster and Math w/o Borders video lessons

Derek Owens

TabletClass which we are using now for Pre-A

Jacobs with Dr. Callahan video lessons

AoPS

Thank you as well. I've looked briefly at the TabletClass and it looked interesting. It reminds my daughter a little of Khan Academy. How are you and your dc liking it? Any pros and cons you are willing to share? Are you planning on using the Alg.1 when you get through pre-alg.?

Thanks for all the other suggestions!

Thank you as well. I've looked briefly at the TabletClass and it looked interesting. It reminds my daughter a little of Khan Academy. How are you and your dc liking it? Any pros and cons you are willing to share? Are you planning on using the Alg.1 when you get through pre-alg.?

Thanks for all the other suggestions!

Sure, for us we really like TC. So there are mostly pros.

Pros:

* Clear, thorough instruction which gets to the point without rambling too much.

* Standards based curriculum with a S&S that can be easily mapped to other well regarded texts/programs. I created a mapping you can see here: Algebra 1 S&S matrix

* Easy to supplement because of above

* Leans towards challenging with a college prep feel

* Very user friendly enabling students to work mostly independent. ds11 is ~ 95% independent.

* Excellent customer service. The owner will get right back to you with a well thought out answer if you email him.

* All problems worked out with full explanations via video examples

* Reasonably priced for all that is offered

Cons:

* Leans toward challenging. While we like this there are times when we will supplement just to look at things from another perspective and let concepts really set it.

* For Pre-A which ds11 is in currently TC takes a 'better early than late' approach. So it has more algebraic content than most Pre-As do.

We are planning to use TabletClass for Algebra 1 based on our experiences with it this year. I plan on integrating in other Algebra 1 material from AoPS, Khan and other sources as we did this year as well. I am also strongly considering extending Algbera 1 over more than one school year with these other resources. The reason for this is that I think Algebra 1 is so vital in building a strong foundation for higher level math and science to follow.

I was checking out some of the recommendations that Dereksurfs mentioned and I have some questions about the Derek Owens videos if anyone would like to enlighten me. I was thinking before moving on to Alg.1, dd could recap pre-alg. (after finishing Saxon 8/7) using the Derek Owens videos and Alcumus videos. Do you think this would be ideal if she is having trouble in certain areas of pre-algebra?

Tablet Class is an option and we'll look more into that.....

My dd would like a math(Alg. 1 for 8th) that is somewhat mastery but does have the review in it to keep the mastered material fresh/fluent........these are her words! Can someone please help us find a program like this? My brain is tired of swimming in math right now! Am I making this more difficult than it really is?!

Much appreciated!

:banghead:

Pros:

* Clear, thorough instruction which gets to the point without rambling too much.

* Standards based curriculum with a S&S that can be easily mapped to other well regarded texts/programs. I created a mapping you can see here: Algebra 1 S&S matrix

* Very user friendly enabling students to work mostly independent. ds11 is ~ 95% independent.

* Excellent customer service. The owner will get right back to you with a well thought out answer if you email him.

Cons:

* Leans toward challenging. While we like this there are times when we will supplement just to look at things from another perspective and let concepts really set it.

* For Pre-A which ds11 is in currently TC takes a 'better early than late' approach. So it has more algebraic content than most Pre-As do.

We are planning to use TabletClass for Algebra 1 based on our experiences with it this year. I plan on integrating in other Algebra 1 material from AoPS, Khan and other sources as we did this year as well. I am also strongly considering extending Algbera 1 over more than one school year with these other resources. The reason for this is that I think Algebra 1 is so vital in building a strong foundation for higher level math and science to follow.

Thanks for the S&S! That's awesome! You definitely rock!

Just saw this posted this morning.......Tablet Class must be fate for us? Here is the website for FREE tablet class videos.....they are surely different and when I have time I'll go through the differences. Thought you may want to check this out for Alg.1......

http://homeschoolmathonline.com/

Pros:

Cons: