Menu

How do you allocate YOUR time?

As the teacher, how much time do you spend on various teacher-related activities?

Daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, annually?

I'm thinking everything - teaching, planning and preparing (short- and long-term), grading, evaluating, reflecting, working on your vision/goals/philosophy, choosing curriculum, etc.

Where I'm coming from (you don't have to read to answer):

We started homeschooling in October, and I am so glad I did, but I just don't see how there is enough time to do all of the above well, much less leaving sufficient time for other responsibilities and personal needs and wants (ha!). I find myself doing what I can day-to-day, and "planning" to get to the rest on breaks, but I've started to think I'm pushing off too much, plus I told the kids we'd do some things then, plus I'd like at least somewhat of an actual break, if possible. So I'm hoping, by hearing what others do, that I can make a better plan for myself. Thanks.

I have to break it into blocks.

Summer:

-look through new curricula and divide into 36 four-day weeks or monthly blocks, marking the halfway point.

-look through the first two months, making a note of ALL supplies needed, even if it's just "markers, construction paper, pens..."

-set up the planner and work binders, adding two weeks off at Christmas, one in February, one at Easter, and one day off a month.

Monthly:

-look ahead to the next month, making note of all supplies to gather in the next 30 days.

-"parent-teacher" conference: where we sit and discuss what is and isn't working, and what student or teacher would like to change. Cookies and cocoa make it much more fun for kiddos!

Weekly (Sat or Sun):

-put supplies aside for the next week,

-go to the library

-make any copies

-put links into a favorites folder to use during lessons

Daily

-grade during lessons or over lunch

-check pace, adjust as needed

Housework gets done around school. In the morning I do a quick cleaning of the bathrooms (and I mean QUICK - run the toilet brush around, wipe the sink/fixtures, and leave), throw in a load of laundry, and put away dishes. The rest gets cleaned as we go. Dh cooks dinner, giving me time to have a few minutes to myself in the evening.

As you get farther in, you realize some things don't need work (my philosophy redefines itself every year through action), some don't work for your family, and some just fall in line with the rest of the ducks. You'll get into your routine. The years will provide you with enough reflecting. The curriculum catalogues will become bedtime books or shoved in a purse to look at while you wait in line. It'll fall in for ya. Just wait. :)

I have to break it into blocks.

Summer:

-look through new curricula and divide into 36 four-day weeks or monthly blocks, marking the halfway point.

-look through the first two months, making a note of ALL supplies needed, even if it's just "markers, construction paper, pens..."

-set up the planner and work binders, adding two weeks off at Christmas, one in February, one at Easter, and one day off a month.

Monthly:

-look ahead to the next month, making note of all supplies to gather in the next 30 days.

-"parent-teacher" conference: where we sit and discuss what is and isn't working, and what student or teacher would like to change. Cookies and cocoa make it much more fun for kiddos!

Weekly (Sat or Sun):

-put supplies aside for the next week,

-go to the library

-make any copies

-put links into a favorites folder to use during lessons

Daily

-grade during lessons or over lunch

-check pace, adjust as needed

Housework gets done around school. In the morning I do a quick cleaning of the bathrooms (and I mean QUICK - run the toilet brush around, wipe the sink/fixtures, and leave), throw in a load of laundry, and put away dishes. The rest gets cleaned as we go. Dh cooks dinner, giving me time to have a few minutes to myself in the evening.

As you get farther in, you realize some things don't need work (my philosophy redefines itself every year through action), some don't work for your family, and some just fall in line with the rest of the ducks. You'll get into your routine. The years will provide you with enough reflecting. The curriculum catalogues will become bedtime books or shoved in a purse to look at while you wait in line. It'll fall in for ya. Just wait. :)

Mine is very similar.

I plan in January and order anywhere from Feb. - March. This year I have to piece it out some. I get my main TM and start familiarizing myself with it. I also start collecting general links to blogs and projects, plus extra books. I make an Amazon wish list with book basket books. I don't really have to lesson plan much, as I use MFW and pretty much everything else is "do the next thing."

Summer - gathering supplies and accumulating books. In July, I start buying basic supplies - binders, paper, etc., with BTS sales. I make a supply list for about the first month and start gathering nonperishables. Set up binders.

I don't think I do anything regularly on a monthly basis. Every few weeks, I sort the girls' papers from their pockets and into the binders. I might plan supplies 4-6 weeks out.

Weekly, I go back over planned projects and supply lists, print, laminate, copy, and hole-punch things that we'll need. Go to the library.

Daily, check work and file. Keep book piles neat. Make sure everything is in order for any project the next day.

Refining things, assessing goals, evaluating, goes on intermittently throughout the year. When am I not doing these things?

As far as household things go, everyone contributes. I often do laundry around school work. I do a crock pot meal at least once a week. The girls do chores mainly on Wednesdays or the weekend (as their schedule allows).