Menu

Help - Consumer Math?

We have a high school student working very well with Teaching Textbooks (she's spec needs, so I realize this doesn't cover material as extensive as many other programs). She wants to go to community college and is now working through TT's Precalculus. But it doesn't have a strong consumer math chapter, which is required. She needs a chapter including simple, compound, continuous compound interest; annuities; amortization; etc. The issue is that it needs to be very step-by-step so that she'll be able to really get it. A more relaxed approach that takes longer to get would be fine.

Are there any resources, programs, or textbooks that anyone has used that would cover this topic more thoroughly than would a life skills approach?

Power Basics has a consumer math course which covers loans and interest. Rainbow resource sells it for about $40. Power basics is designed for special needs students, so is supposed to be very clear with procedural explanations. I haven't used it myself, but it looks like exactly what you're looking for.