Menu

A child was hurt today and it is my fault.

Heather in Neverland

Hitting a child on the hand with a bamboo stick sounds very much like he old practice of caning children on the hand. It was not that uncommon for finger bones to be cracked and it usually left significant marks. If his hands look ok you can probably stop worrying.

I was caned with the bamboo handle of a feather duster at school. Let me assure you it hurts!

Heather, while I don't think you are in anyway responsible for this mother's behaviour, I am curious about why you inform parents when their children are disciplined at school. I think school and home should be seperate. I don't think you should be disciplined twice for the same offence. The kid was stupid. Kids ARE stupid - they are still learning. Yes, he was probably mean. But didn't you deal with it? Did he have to cop it twice? I think his mother probably reacted to the shame of the incident. This is not uncommon and something you probably need to keep in mind. For kids with volatile parents, school is often a necessary place of refuge. Its a big part of your job to ensure that this refuge stays safe. If it was an ongoing problem, you suspected an underlying disorder, the child had seriously injured someone, or the child wasn't amenable to discipline, then contact the parents. But otherwise, the teacher on duty should handle it, with you as the back-up. If the kid wants to tell his parents that he was vile and got into trouble, thats up to him.

And yes, I did have a volatile parent and school was sometimes a refuge, so my opinion is clouded.

D

I was caned with the bamboo handle of a feather duster at school. Let me assure you it hurts!

Heather, while I don't think you are in anyway responsible for this mother's behaviour, I am curious about why you inform parents when their children are disciplined at school. I think school and home should be seperate. I don't think you should be disciplined twice for the same offence. The kid was stupid. Kids ARE stupid - they are still learning. Yes, he was probably mean. But didn't you deal with it? Did he have to cop it twice? I think his mother probably reacted to the shame of the incident. This is not uncommon and something you probably need to keep in mind. For kids with volatile parents, school is often a necessary place of refuge. Its a big part of your job to ensure that this refuge stays safe. If it was an ongoing problem, you suspected an underlying disorder, the child had seriously injured someone, or the child wasn't amenable to discipline, then contact the parents. But otherwise, the teacher on duty should handle it, with you as the back-up. If the kid wants to tell his parents that he was vile and got into trouble, thats up to him.

And yes, I did have a volatile parent and school was sometimes a refuge, so my opinion is clouded.

D

We do not see school and home as things to be kept completely separate and we do not exclude parents from information about their child's day, good or bad. We see this as a partnership between the school and the parents. If my child was acting like that at school I would want to know and I would be upset if the school hid it from me. Especially since this is a small community and one child's misbehavior is known throughout the community by the end of the day. Gossip is a big problem among our parents, unfortunately.

Also, I didn't discipline him after the second offense. I called his mom. So he wasn't disciplined twice.