Menu

AAS1/AAR1 Question

mamamin

Hello,

I was hoping to get some feedback on all about spelling/reading.

I am using all about spelling 1 right now with my older child and we think it's a great program..my little guy will be starting K this fall so I am wondering if AAS1 is comparable to AAR1? can I just use the spelling book to help him get officially started with reading? is AAR1 completely different from AAS1? I guess I just don't want to buy AAR1 if it's basically the same thing as AAS1.

anyone have both and can give me a compare/contrast?

thanks!

I have used both programs. They are similiar in set-up (scripted lessons, phonogram cards, etc.) but approach phonics from different angles and work at a different speed. AAR works at decoding, and AAS at encoding, which are different skills. Also, AAS moves much too slowly at explaining the phonics rules to get a child up and reading, IMO. It is great for spelling instruction, but the pace is too slow for reading instruction. Also, my kids favorite part of AAR is the games/activities, which are not included at all in AAS.

I have and use both. Set set up, different material. Definitely worth getting the two programs, they work on completely different skills. I love AAS but cannot imagine teaching reading with it. It is a great spelling program, but one of the best aspects of AAL products is the open and go nature. You would have to tweak AAS a lot to use it to teach phonics for reading. The timing would be all off.

We used OPGTR and around lesson 50 began including just the readers for AAR. We LOVE the readers. If AAR is as fun as the readers, I can see why it's so popular! If I didn't think my ds was past AAR 1 I would consider it for him. As it is, thinking about it for my second ds.

First ds is using AAS1 and I agree, it goes way too slow for reading - just right for spelling!

I have used both programs. They are similiar in set-up (scripted lessons, phonogram cards, etc.) but approach phonics from different angles and work at a different speed. AAR works at decoding, and AAS at encoding, which are different skills. Also, AAS moves much too slowly at explaining the phonics rules to get a child up and reading, IMO. It is great for spelling instruction, but the pace is too slow for reading instruction. Also, my kids favorite part of AAR is the games/activities, which are not included at all in AAS.

I agree with every word. It's worth it to get AAR . . . A great program!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep, another agreement. I've used AAS 1, which was the perfect spelling program for my older dd. Now, the younger dd is using AAR and LOVES it. It has games and lots of fun things that AAS doesn't have. I think she would be very bored trying to learn to read just using AAS unless I tweaked it a lot (which I don't have the time for!)

Watch for used copies if you are looking to save money.