Menu

PSA regarding OpenDNS and Admin User accounts . . .

StephanieZ

If you rely on OpenDNS (or a similar server-rerouting program) to filter internet access . . .

You MUST have password protected Admin accounts on ALL computers, preventing any miscreant child access to Admin accounts.

Do not be lazy when you get a new computer (6 months ago) and fail to set up a second User due to the hassles involved and the inevitable program glitches soon to occur . . .

Otherwise, if they have Admin privileges they can google up instructions in moments on how to reroute the server settings to evade OpenDNS and access *those* sites, all untraceable on your fancy OpenDNS tracking (paid) account, since they evaded the OpenDNS account.

THANK YOU to whoever recommended TeamViewer here (free! Actually easy!), because it was a random use of TeamViewer to view the computer in the other room that alerted me to THIS problem. (NOW THAT'S A VIEW I WON'T SOON FORGET!) I didn't even do it on purpose, I was just installing it on my new laptop, and clicked on the other PC to see if I had my new laptop set up right. WHOA BUDDY!

So, anyway, ladies, go set up "Standard User" accounts on all your computers, and password protect the "Admin" accounts.

If you don't have boys, you might be able to disregard all this.

If you do have boys over 10, I urge you to figure this stuff out NOW, not later. That Y chromosome is a powerful thing!

UGH!

• Like 3

• 2 years later...

If you rely on OpenDNS (or a similar server-rerouting program) to filter internet access . . .

You MUST have password protected Admin accounts on ALL computers, preventing any miscreant child access to Admin accounts.

Actually, you can prevent virtually ALL OpenDNS workarounds without ever accessing the children's computers, or tablets, etc. You can change the settings in your router to only allow your children's computers to get their DNS from OpenDNS by blocking ALL other DNS addresses. Also be sure to block the anonymizers category. That's it.

There is one issue which can render OpenDNS unusable for you, however: If you have a newer Apple router that only routes using IPv6 protcols, OpenDNS will not block anything.

For us, OpenDNS has been great. I can fully administer if from my computer without ever touching the children's computers. DS17 is a very advanced programmer and he was not able to get through it (to my knowledge, and I told him exactly what I did and discussed why the workarounds do not work). Finally a few weeks ago he came to me and asked if I would remove the restrictions on his computer so that he could work use the workaround on his PC. I agreed, since he is 17and he was up-front about it with me. Hopefully he doesn't make me regret this decision.

• Like 3