Menu

mending lessons for boys?

I need to give my boys lessons in mending by hand. I need a list of what to cover at the very least. It's just not something I think about - I just "do it" when I mend.

sure, sewing on a button is obvious, and maybe stitching up a seam or even reinforcing a button hole, etc hems? anything else that should be covered. they will have no sewing machine access, they will have to mend by hand.

My ds used the Star Wars Craft Book to sew a Bantha (creature) last summer for the fair. It was really cute but still interesting for him (perfect size for his Han Solo action figure). With everything that he learned , he can now mend seams and sew on buttons--just thinking something like that might be a fun approach. As far as mending goes-- Maybe something to add would be sewing denim versus standard weight cloth.

I need to give my boys lessons in mending by hand. I need a list of what to cover at the very least. It's just not something I think about - I just "do it" when I mend.

sure, sewing on a button is obvious, and maybe stitching up a seam or even reinforcing a button hole, etc hems? anything else that should be covered. they will have no sewing machine access, they will have to mend by hand.

Here is a list of some mending-type things

Putting wax on a stiff zipper

Sewing the edge of a zipper that has come unstitched

Fixing a stuck zipper.

Replacing a zipper

Replacing a button (and a coat button where you don't sew it on tight)

Rethreading a drawstring or worn-out elastic. (put a safety pin on the end)

Zigzag stitching a new piece of elastic to the outside of something whose elastic has given up

When to apply a patch and when to pull the edges of a hole together and sew like a seam

Sewing on snaps and zippers

Bending the prongs of a snap with something like the tine of a fork to make the snap stick again

Hemming

Restitching a cuff that has pulled free

Darning a sock or sweater elbow

Applying a leather patch to a worn out sweater elbow

Fixing a hole in a pocket

Applying a patch to reenforce a knee or elbow

Mending a small hole in a sweater by grabbing the edges and gathering

Sewing a band of flannel or pile into a hat band to adjust the size

Adding strings to a hat to keep it on in the wind

Adding a wool lining to a jacket or vest to make it warmer

Taking a tuck to make something smaller

Adding a gusset to make something bigger

Cutting off pants to make shorts or cutting off long sleeves

Cutting off a worn collar to make a collarless shirt

Shoe goo and duct tape to fix shoes

Putting a new liner in a pair of shoes

Replacing eyelets or rivets (with one of those kits where you hammer the new eyelet in)

Replacing handles on canvas bags

Upholstry needles and making arm covers for worn-out upholstry

Patching screening on a tent or window screen

Rewaterproofing something (seam sealer, scotch guarding, waxing, etc.)

Heavy duty sewing

Glueing on patches

How to use breadbags on your feet if your boots have holes

Punching new holes in a belt with a hole-punch or an awl

Making a bag with a drawstring (to protect a helmet or musical instrument)

My sons began with sewing cards, then made beanbags, then made simple clothes for their teddybears, then moved on to bigger projects like knight's armor or lining a pair of jeans with pile. Once they have a few sewing skills, it is pretty easy for them to figure out how to do anything else or to ask someone how and then be able to do it. At some point, it is good to show them how to use a sewing machine. i didn't teach them all the above list. I did often call them over and show them what I was doing if it was a new sort of mending.

Nan