Menu

spelling: LOE vs AAS?

MeganW

Can you tell me the difference between Logic of English and All About Spelling? Both format of curriculum and philosophy? THANKS!!

Since no one else has shared a lot of information for you, I'll jump in. I will say though that I have not used AAS -- just LOE. I'm not sure that many people have used both, so hopefully at least an experienced AAS user will chime in if I get anything wrong.

Both are pretty much based on the same underlying philosophy -- they are considered to be "spinoffs" (or have descended from in some way) the Spalding method of teaching spelling. In other words, both are phonogram and rule-based based programs and all the sounds of each phonogram are taught at the same time with both programs.

All About Spelling's big uniqueness seems to be its emphasis on the letter tiles. LOE doesn't use tiles -- the work is written in a workbook...or if your student prefers you can do a lot of work on blank paper or a dry erase board (my kids often do that).

LOE includes not just spelling but some vocabulary development, a bit of writing, and a fair amount of grammar instruction. Those other elements can be ignored if you prefer. To my understanding AAS is just spelling instruction. LOE has a lot of games. I don't know if AAS has games or not.

AAS seems to have seven levels. I have heard some people complain about that proliferation of levels...maybe that it is too slow-moving in a sense for some students?

The LOE essentials program gets through all 74 basic phonograms in one "Level" which could be completed in a couple months if you move along at the fastest pace. Or it can be stretched out over a year or two.

LOE also has the Foundations level coming out soon, which is aimed at younger students (maybe starting at ages 4 to 6 or so?)...I think that will also cover all 74 basic phonograms by the time all the lessons are considered, and is meant to be used over a year or so.

LOE doens't have any further levels after the Essentials program. There is no level to cover the remaining "advanced" phonograms nor is it in development yet. You can go through a second year of Essentials with a more difficult spelling list, however. i am not sure how a student with one or two years of LOE would compare in spelling ability to a student who had completed all seven levels of AAS. My guess is that AAS ends up being a more "complete" program because of all those levels. LOE recommends using a word roots program after Essentials, and there are also spelling lists by phonogram on the website.

Hope that helps!

Both are pretty much based on the same underlying philosophy -- they are considered to be "spinoffs" (or have descended from in some way) the Spalding method of teaching spelling.

Just a slight correction--Spalding is a spin-off from Orton-Gillingham. AAS is based on Orton-Gillingham, not on Spalding, so it is not a spalding spin-off. I believe LOE is also OG.

AAS and AAR separate reading and spelling so that students can move as quickly or as slowly as they need to with each skill. Many kids move ahead more quickly in reading.

AAS covers more than 2500 words. Students learn to analyze words and apply the most effective spelling strategy. Good spellers use a variety of methods: phonetic, rules-based, visual, and morphemic. Sometimes there isn’t a rule, such as deciding whether to use “er,†“ir,†or “ur†for the sound of /er/ in the word “nurse.†When this is the case, the program introduces just one spelling pattern at a time and allows the student to master that spelling for a particular sound before another is introduced. After mastering several related patterns, they will have a “mixed†review to make sure they can decide which pattern to use for each word.

AAS does not teach grammar except as it affects spelling. There is no writing instruction, but it does include dictation and writing exercises. There are no games, but letter tiles and other hands-on activities provide a fun component for many kids.

HTH as you decide which way to go. Take a look through the online samples to see if that helps you decide which program might be a good fit for you and your kids. Merry :-)

• 2 months later...