Menu

If dd (8th) is doing well with Lial's pre-alg...

...then what is our next step? Specifically I'm wondering what edition of Lial's algebra I want next year. I'm also curious how far she can go with Lial's.

Dd is not interested in a science/math field---she loves literature, history, and art and wants to be an art teacher. I'm thinking algebra 1 (9th), geometry (10th), and algebra 2 (11th.) Not sure about math in 12th.

Could I use Lial's all the way through? Dd loves the layout and instruction of her Lial's pre-algebra. Are the other Lial's books similar in format? Or is there something similar that covers things better?

I'd been looking at alternatives for 9th-12th, but realize that if it's not broken, I shouldn't try to fix it :)

Thanks!

Jen

homeschooling my four: dd (8th), ds (14, cerebral palsy and Aspergers), ds (6th), and dd (2nd)

We went to Lial's Intro Algebra (I think I got the title right) for Algebra 1 and then tried Jacob's for Geometry and it was a complete failure here, so we ended up switching to Teaching Textbooks with Jacobs as an occasional supplement. Ds is a lot like you describe your Dd. I don't think there is Lial's Geometry. If so, I've never seen it recommended here. We plan to move back into Lial's for Algebra 2 next year. I'm not sure what math will look like after that. Statistics seems like one good option.

My kids are using EPGY math and the recommended books are by Lial. Here is the summary of the textbooks being use:

http://epgy.stanford.edu/courses/math/MW12/index.html?/courses/math/mathk12textbooks

Lial does not have a geometry course though. Dd is using McDougal-Littell-Jurgenses Geometry with EPGY geometry. We tried Jacobs and she was bored and frustrated with it.

http://www.amazon.com/McDougal-Littell-Jurgensen-Geometry-Student/dp/0395977274/ref=sr_1_sc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360870605&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=madougal+littel+geometry

Hope this helps.

Lial's geometry is here:

http://www.pearsonhighered.com/educator/product/Essentials-of-Geometry-for-College-Students/9780201748826.page

Lial's geometry is used a lot less frequently than the algebra, because many developmental math students (students who had high school math, but failed to master it) skip geometry and just do beginning algebra/intermediate algebra/college algebra/precalculus. It is more difficult to find cheap used copies.

jcmi: Depending on your dd's interests, she might do a course in mathematics for liberal arts with a significant art, history, or literature component, do statistics, or do finite/discrete math as a senior-year course. There are many options and I expect them to increase, so I would wait until later to pick the specific course. Whichever senior-year course you choose, you'll still be doing algebra 1, 2, and geometry first. I personally wouldn't switch away from Lial's until and unless it stops working for your dd -- they're very standard books which will prepare her well for university.

Lial's geometry is here:

http://www.pearsonhi...0201748826.page

Lial's geometry is used a lot less frequently than the algebra, because many developmental math students (students who had high school math, but failed to master it) skip geometry and just do beginning algebra/intermediate algebra/college algebra/precalculus. It is more difficult to find cheap used copies.

jcmi: Depending on your dd's interests, she might do a course in mathematics for liberal arts with a significant art, history, or literature component, do statistics, or do finite/discrete math as a senior-year course. There are many options and I expect them to increase, so I would wait until later to pick the specific course. Whichever senior-year course you choose, you'll still be doing algebra 1, 2, and geometry first. I personally wouldn't switch away from Lial's until and unless it stops working for your dd -- they're very standard books which will prepare her well for university.

Ah! Now I remember! It's amazing how bad my memory is now. I knew I read something in regards to Lial's and Geometry. I wonder how long it will take me to forget again? :001_rolleyes:

Thanks for all the great replies----just what I was hoping to hear. We'll stick with Lial's for algebra 1 and 2 (and maybe pre-calc, I have awhile before I need to decide!) and just figure out something different for geometry. That was the easiest math decision I've ever made!

Now, what edition do I want for algebra 1? Is one better than another, or do I just get the most recent?

Thanks!

Jen

No reason to get the most recent -- putting out editions every year is really just a way for publishers to kill the used-book market for university students, and going a few editions back will save you a TON of money.

Example:

Newest edition is 144.90 new and 80.73 used.

2007 edition is 20.00 new and 0.01 used. Here's the link.

http://www.amazon.com/Beginning-Algebra-Developmental-Mathematics-Series/dp/0321437268/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1360932366&sr=8-4&keywords=lial+beginning+algebra+10th+edition

There is absolutely no substantive difference between these editions, so you might as well save your money here.

Just, if you buy the solution manual, make sure that the editions MATCH. :)