Menu

Classifying "Phoenicia" geographically

The ancient Phoenicians developed out of Lebanon, which is the Middle East, right? But Carthage was a northern African city? And why would an AP World History teacher have the Phoenicians listed under Europe if one were choosing from Africa, Middle East, Asia, the Americas, and Europe as regional categories?

:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

The class we are taking places Phonecia north of modern day Israel and indicates that they were also known as the Caanites at the time. So that would put them on Asia Minor? Our class teaches that the Minoans were the first European civilization, then goes on to discuss thy Myceneans, the Phonecians and the Greeks and Romans. (I assume that means the the Phonecians are considered European though I don't think it is stated explicitly in our lessons.) Phonecians actually reached much of the land surrounding the Mediterranean because they were strong sea farers.

Hope I spelled all those names correctly, I don't have the motivation to look them up right now. ;)

The class we are taking places Phonecia north of modern day Israel and indicates that they were also known as the Caanites at the time. So that would put them on Asia Minor? Our class teaches that the Minoans were the first European civilization, then goes on to discuss thy Myceneans, the Phonecians and the Greeks and Romans. (I assume that means the the Phonecians are considered European though I don't think it is stated explicitly in our lessons.) Phonecians actually reached much of the land surrounding the Mediterranean because they were strong sea farers.

Hope I spelled all those names correctly, I don't have the motivation to look them up right now. ;)

Never mind the spelling! That now makes perfect sense. Thank you.