Menu

Starting formal grammar in 3rd. Is there a master options list somewhere?

SEGway

I'm not sure how to search effectively for the kind of list I'm looking for. Is it already on the boards somewhere? Does anyone want to help me compile it? I keep hearing of new-to-me programs that seem to have been around for a long time.

Those on my radar include

First Language Lessons 3 (possibility)

Primary Language Lessons (had in hand at one point, not for us)

KISS Grammar (downloaded L3, looks promising)

Growing with Grammar

MCT (have pieces of Island level, will probably incorporate as fun extra but maybe not primary)

Rod & Staff Grammar 3 (possibility)

Shurley English 3 (probably not for us)

Winston Grammar (does this start with older kids?)

Voyages in English (ditto)

Grammar Usage Mechanics (G.U.M.)

Sentence Family (I have this)

Grammarland (We have this from Librivox and on Kindle)

I know I'm missing some. What else is available? What did you choose to start with formal grammar in 3rd grade? Why?

TIA!

There is Fix-It grammar from IEW (more editing, but does incorporate grammar also). They suggest using Big Blue Book of Grammar for those who want extra practice (this book is a great resource and I have actually learned some grammar from it, but I think it might be above 3rd grade level).

I'm paying attention to this thread, because I still don't feel like I've hit my zone with teaching grammar.

For now I am following the methods in Learning Grammar Through Writing and the Dictation Resource Book but am pulling my definitions and explanations out of Warriner's Grammar and Composition Fifth (an out of print 11th grade text). This is all cumbersome and leaves me constantly second guessing myself. I'd really like to somehow get things ironed out into "do the next thing", but don't know how.

I've been rereading the Language Arts section of Students of the Word and have been thinking about kinda sorta following the English plan. I don't know.

101 Top Picks by Kathy Duffy has Easy Grammar, Hake Grammar and A Beka. There's also Bob Jones English which includes Grammar, Usage and Writing. There's Glencoe, Evan Moor. There's Grammaropolis. Christian Light Education Language Arts (www.clp.org), All-in-one Grammar. I've heard good things about Our Mother Tongue but haven't done any real research on it.

We're using first language lessons for 3rd without having used any of the other books or ever doing formal grammar. It's working out great. A lot of what it teaches is repeated from earlier books. Most kids should be fine jumping in and learning what a noun is and how to diagram a sentence without any 'remedial' work. It starts pretty slow.