Menu

Elemental Science Biology VS Christian Kids Explore Biology

Oakblossoms

Bumping for you.

I've used Elemental Science biology but not at the elementary level. There is a very generous 27 page sample linked on the ES website for the elementary level biology in case you haven't seen it. Sorry, I've never used the other curriculum you mentioned.

ETA - Elemental Science is considered secular. Not sure if that's what you're looking for.

• 1 month later...

I have not used ES, but I think CKE Bio would work for your son. I also have a 9 yo with some delays and I think CKE Bio would be perfect for her. Short bits read to her with some hands on activities. You can always add in more, something I've come to prefer rather than the frustration that comes from a curriculum that is too hard for a child who is already feeling challenged. FWIW, I tried CKE Bio in the past and ended up not using it - I am thinking of using it with my 9 yo next year. :)

I've used Elemental Science, though not the Biology program. I HAD Christian Kids Explore on my "to purchase for next year" list. I went to Convention this past weekend specifically to see it in person.

My DS10 also has some learning delays, and probably works on a 2nd grade level for many things that involve reading.

After seeing Christian Kids Explore in person, I will NOT be using it. I would NOT recommend it for a child who has learning delays. The textbook is just that, very textbooky. I know my son would not be able to read it to himself and comprehend any of it. I would have to read it to him, and paraphrase alot of it. Not a big issue there, as that comes along with the territory with him, but even the text was kinda boring, and technical to me. I get that science is technical, but I don't think it has to be a boring, technical thing to read, if that makes sense. It's a simple black and white page of text. Not visual at all. But then there are several questions that come along with the reading. It's simply question, fill in the answer. Nothing different. Then a lab, with alot of writing on the lab sheet. So NOT something that would excite my son, and much of the questions we'd have to do orally.

Elemental Science is a much different type of program. It's not a textbook, fill in answer type of curriculum. You use different books, like DK/Usborne Encyclopedia's, so very visual. That reading will be short snippet type material. I also add in library books that are on topic, so add more depth. There is cut-n-paste pics for the vocabulary, and they are black and white, so he can color in that picture of the vocab word....but it's a PICTURE, so again, a visual clue. Vocab definations are a bit easier to do in my mind, then answering 10 questions about 3 page textbook reading (which he zoned out after the first paragraph). Different experiments, copy work is recommended.

I do think Elemental Science is a much better program for a child who has some delays, because it's muliti-faceted in terms of the type of work you do each day.

"I do think Elemental Science is a much better program for a child who has some delays, because it's muliti-faceted in terms of the type of work you do each day."

Thanks for that review - I may be changing my plans for next year, b/c ES sounds great for my dd, too! :001_smile: