Menu

Using Singapore Math with a dyscalculic student

sweetpea3829

MUS arrived today. :-) And I have a secret I'm harboring...lol. Every time something like this arrives in the mail, I secretly hope that my husband will peek over my shoulder while I'm unpacking and/or reviewing the new material. And I secretly hope that he might see the new material and show an interest in "checking it out".

He really does sell himself short, that guy.

Perhaps tonight I'll pop in the MUS video...

And P.S. Why in the world does this topic continue to drop me from following it? Not just this topic, either...but other topics I've clicked "follow" on and for a few posts everything's fine and then poof...suddenly I'm not following anymore.

I don't like this new format they have here.

MUS arrived today. :-) And I have a secret I'm harboring...lol. Every time something like this arrives in the mail, I secretly hope that my husband will peek over my shoulder while I'm unpacking and/or reviewing the new material. And I secretly hope that he might see the new material and show an interest in "checking it out".

He really does sell himself short, that guy.

Perhaps tonight I'll pop in the MUS video...

And P.S. Why in the world does this topic continue to drop me from following it? Not just this topic, either...but other topics I've clicked "follow" on and for a few posts everything's fine and then poof...suddenly I'm not following anymore.

What level did you buy?

What level did you buy?

I went with Alpha. She's nowhere near ready for Beta, and I'm fairly certain Primer would be too easy.

It's definitely very different from Singapore. Just in the content alone. Like I mentioned above, Singapore has them learning the concepts of multiplication and division in 1B. Double digit addition and subtraction were already touched upon. You don't see double digit addition and subtraction until Beta, and Multiplication and division in the level after that.

I guess that kind of answers my question on keeping DS and DD in the same math curriculum. DS would be bored stiff if I had to spend an entire school term on single digit addition and subtraction.

Oh, and I popped the DVD in tonight...DH firmly requested that I put something in that wasn't "way too much like school". LOL!

This honestly makes my head spin. I have no idea what you are talking about. I don't have any trouble understanding what individual numbers mean, though, but I might if someone tried to explain it like that :).

I'm not trying to be rude or offensive, just pointing out that I would not necessarily advise anyone to try this on a dyscalculic kid.

I completely agree with you, Dialectica; this advice is confusing and not (as far as I can tell, anyway) reflective of how I perceive numbers.

Yeah! I had to go on to check if there were any new responses and *poof* there were. Very frustrating.

I went with Alpha. She's nowhere near ready for Beta, and I'm fairly certain Primer would be too easy.

It's definitely very different from Singapore. Just in the content alone. Like I mentioned above, Singapore has them learning the concepts of multiplication and division in 1B. Double digit addition and subtraction were already touched upon. You don't see double digit addition and subtraction until Beta, and Multiplication and division in the level after that.

I guess that kind of answers my question on keeping DS and DD in the same math curriculum. DS would be bored stiff if I had to spend an entire school term on single digit addition and subtraction.

Oh, and I popped the DVD in tonight...DH firmly requested that I put something in that wasn't "way too much like school". LOL!

My oldest has done very well with MUS (dyslexic, probably dyscalculic), the mastery approach in very small incremental steps is just what she needed with her LD's. Along with the blocks. But my 2nd grader is hating MUS so much and I'm probably going to switch her to something else. I'm not thrilled about the idea of having them in different curriculums, but I think it's best to match your child's learning style/needs if you can.

My oldest has done very well with MUS (dyslexic, probably dyscalculic), the mastery approach in very small incremental steps is just what she needed with her LD's. Along with the blocks. But my 2nd grader is hating MUS so much and I'm probably going to switch her to something else. I'm not thrilled about the idea of having them in different curriculums, but I think it's best to match your child's learning style/needs if you can.

I totally agree. It would have been a lot easier on our budget if I could have kept them both in the same curriculum. But MUS wouldn't have done any justice for DS. I had thought perhaps of just modifying Singapore for DD (which was what this thread started out as, lol). But we'll see how MUS works for her.