Menu

Help look over the rough draft of 9yr old sons book report

I've never posted any of my childrens writing on here before... but I am finding that they are needing too much handholding and am unsure of how to go about guiding them to make better sentences without writing it for them. My son actually got upset with me on his last report and said "Mom you are changing my whole sentence, I like it the way it is." So if anyone could read this rough draft (absolutely no help has come from me yet) and tell me how I should proceed that would be so much appreciated.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets is a really good magical mystery book. It is truly an exsellent book! The authors name is J.K. Rowling. It's copyrite date is 1999. You can find this awsome book at the library in the fantasy ile.

This book's main characters are Harry, Ron, Hermoine, (the most people written about) and Harry's friend Dobby the house elf who is controlled by Luicous (the bully). This book is fiction and full of magical adventures. It takes place at Hogwart's School of Witch Craft and Wizerdry. These two wizards and one witch are trying to figure out what monster is hiddin in the chamber of secrets.

What I liked most about the book is the big battle with the misterios chamber monster. I also like how this story is so magical and daring. It is one you just have to read. The magic made me feel like I was right in the story. I hope that you will read this book, you will be happy if you do.

Written by my 4th grade 9yr old son... who loves to write until it is assigned in school :) I have not corrected anything at all including spelling as you can see. I would love opinions for corrections and how to go about "helping" him correct them.

Is he good at recognizing mis-spelled words? What I do with Melissa is I underline the mis-spelled word and she has to look it up in the dictionary and fix the spelling.

Are you teaching him topic sentence, middle supporting sentences, and concluding sentences? If so, I think his middle paragraph needs a little more cohesion. I really like his concluding paragraph. :)

FWIW: I am new to book reports. I have a 4th grader/9 year old and we have only done one for a grade so far in this format. I'm interested to hear how other mommies see this.

I am finding that they are needing too much handholding and am unsure of how to go about guiding them to make better sentences without writing it for them.

I think that there is no such thing as too much handholding at this stage of writing. There is just so much to writing that isn't automatic yet that if a kid wants help in an area, supplying it is ok. (Of course I often forget this myself.)

My son actually got upset with me on his last report and said "Mom you are changing my whole sentence, I like it the way it is." So if anyone could read this rough draft (absolutely no help has come from me yet) and tell me how I should proceed that would be so much appreciated.

How about asking him if there is anything that *he* wants to improve or that doesn't quite work. Then coach him through that area. You can also suggest *one* aspect that you think could be made even better, if he can't think of anything himself. For example, you could mention that the middle paragraph jumps around from the three kids to talking about magic to the setting to the three kids again. Would it make sense to move the sentences about the kids next to each other?

If this book report is handwritten, consider typing it for him (or teach him to type) so that he can make the edits easily. Letting him see the difference the changes make will help him better understand how writing works.

Written by my 4th grade 9yr old son... who loves to write until it is assigned in school :) I have not corrected anything at all including spelling as you can see. I would love opinions for corrections and how to go about "helping" him correct them.

My 4th grade 9yr old daughter can come up with wonderful writing when it isn't a formal assignment, yet sometimes seems to forget how to string words together when I ask her to write for school. You can see her book report in this thread.

http://forums.welltrainedmind.com/topic/451582-book-report-4th-grade/

So far no one has commented on it.