Menu

If you used A Living History of Our World...

wehave8

I have the first volume. For whatever reason, I just never used it. I do love it though and am considering ditching what we are doing now to switch. I just wonder if its enough. She makes history so clear and enjoyable. I get overwhelmed with a lot of history texts. I emailed the author yesterday about them. I hope she doesn't mind me posting part of what she said. It might help others get a better idea of how to use her books. I will post below....,

My suggestion is to do history with both the 8 year old and the 11 year old together...relax and enjoy the journey. :o) Trying to cram and "catch up" does nothing but overwhelm. If she is hating what she is doing with her class online, she is learning to make the habit of inattentiveness, which naturally leads to her in-born curiosity being squelched. Education is a relationship your child makes with the world around her. :o) As for a schedule, I encourage people to do one volume a year with their elementary aged children. If she started with Volume 1 right now, she could follow this sequence:

Vol. 1 - 6th

Vol. 2 - 7th

Vol. 3 - 8th

Vol. 4 (Ancients) - 9th

Vol. 5 (Middle ages) - 10th

Choose between Vol. 6 (Explorers through Settlement) or Vol. 7 (Modern history) - 11th

Vol. 8 (High school American history/government) - 12th

We are halfway through the second book. I really like them and plan on using book 3 in the fall. It's very engaging and I like the notebook pages and especially like the timeline on notecards. I assign additional reading as needed. It depends on what you want from a history program. It's simple, straightforward, open & go. I've used it for grades 4 & 5.

I used the two American volumes last year with my first grader. I found that I had to go through and edit parts of the book before I read it out loud. I am not particularly fussy about "PC" but there were definitely parts that gave me pause and I changed. However, I thought the narrative style and the pace were well done for lower elementary.

I used the two American volumes last year with my first grader. I found that I had to go through and edit parts of the book before I read it out loud. I am not particularly fussy about "PC" but there were definitely parts that gave me pause and I changed. However, I thought the narrative style and the pace were well done for lower elementary.

Would you mind giving an example?

Thanks!

Pam