Menu

Saxon Grammar

zenjenn

There are three components to the program:

The student text

The teacher packet

The student workbook

The student text is obviously necessary. They say it is nonconsumable, but it is made out of newsprint, so it's not overly robust. You can have your child write down the answers on a separate piece of paper, but a lot of people (including me) allow their children to write directly in the text. It saves *a lot* of time. And, in our case, angst. The student text has the vocabulary and grammar lessons and exercises as well as dictation passages in the back.

The teacher packet has all of the answers and the blank test forms. I found this to be extremely helpful.

The student workbook contains the writing lessons and some extra practice sheets for grammar. It is necessary if you plan to do the writing portion of the program. Since we didn't, and we never used the extra grammar sheets, we never needed the workbook.

So, if you're not planning to do the writing lessons, then all you need is the student text and teacher packet (assuming that you want answers and tests). If you are planning to do the writing, you'll need all three components.

Thank you! Very helpful. The student does WWE and journal entries daily so I think we're set on writing. While writing is great, she found FLL slow and tedious and picks up grammar concepts quickly and intuitively, so I wanted something where she could move ahead closer to her pace.

While writing is great, she found FLL slow and tedious and picks up grammar concepts quickly and intuitively, so I wanted something where she could move ahead closer to her pace.

She may find Hake slow and tedious as well--there is *lots* of review, which is a strength if that's what you want.

My preference is to alternate MCT and Hake. MCT paints the broad picture and Hake refines it.

Great! I think this is a choice that will work well with us - as today I ordered Saxon 5 along with Grammar Island and Grammar Town (she's probably more Grammar Town, but Island will be good review and more appropriate for little sister). I was steering away from MCT because the reality is, no matter how much I have noble intentions of being an involved active teacher, there are many days where frankly I'm not. I'm *present* for writing and history but ever since they became fluent readers with independent study skills, I've luxuriated in their independence with the nuts and bolts stuff, and just keep myself available for questions and review/corrections. But the MCT stuff just looks so creative and poetic and right up DD's alley.

I don't necessarily think she minds review if she can blow through it. FLL relies so much on this teacher/student dialogue that actually *is* the bulk of the lesson. The actual pencil-to-paper student work is minimal in FLL, and much of it requires teacher guidance to do.

I don't necessarily think she minds review if she can blow through it.

FWIW, during times when the review in Hake gets too tedious for my DS, I let him do every other (or even every third) review question and skip the others. (Not the practice problems over the new material, just the review questions.) The review "spiral" is tight enough, with frequent coverage of all the previous concepts, that this works well for him and he still doesn't miss anything. I like that it is so flexible - review if you need it, easy to skip when you don't. (As opposed to adding review to a program that doesn't include it built-in.) I've seen others say they skip some review questions like this as well.