Menu

Physics?

Okay, so I am now a little over half way with my unusual choice of http://www.doctortang.com/ and Chang's General Chemistry and I am mostly satisfied (most dissatisfaction for me lies with experiments which are always our weak point, but we will manage to do enough to call this a lab science).

I'm curious to know if there is a similar something out there for physics. I will admit I love the low cost of this option since I got a course of action in terms of assignments and answers for those, for under $50 (probably under $25 but I can't remember). And I didn't have to go some kind of hoop jumping process either.

However, I am open to more expensive options and hoop jumping, just not too high. I want a fairly rigorous program but it does not have to be AP level, honors level would be good. Some experiments already in a kit would be nice; again, a kit I won't have to be at an institutional address to get.

Yes, Regentrude I would most certainly like to hear what you are planning or have already done.

Candid, since you ask me specifically:

Maybe this

http://www.bowlesphysics.com/home.html

has some things you are looking for? I have not used the site, just had it in my bookmark collection. It has notes, labs, lesson videos and powerpoints.

Here is an online course:

http://www.learner.org/courses/physics/index.html

I myself use Knight, Jones, Field College Physics for my algebra based physics course and consider it a level suitable for high school (my DD took my course when she was in 8th grade, DS will take it in 9th). I have, in a previous thread, linked to a google document where I shared my syllabi and assignment lists; you might find those helpful. I have also shared a set of tests with solutions.

Sebastian has, in previous thread, written about her experience in acquiring instructor access. I do not use any auxilliary materials, so I can't comment on the quality and usefulness.

We made up our own labs which is really easy for physics; you could also get a kit from labpaq.

We used an older edition of this Giancoli, purchased used for $5. My kids self-studied from the book, with me as tutor when needed (though that was rare; mostly I just checked their work). There are components available, though, if you wish - on that Amazon page I saw under "related materials" that there were a student solution guide and a study guide for sale.

For chapter quizzes, we used the practice questions available on the publisher's website.

For labs, we purchased Castle Height's Experiences in Physics manuals and lab supplies from Home Science tools. (I think that this might be out of print now?)

I found this website very helpful for pacing and for links to interesting web sites: Dolores Gendes AP B physics & honors physics

The Giancoli text grades problems into three levels, so it can be used for a range of physics courses. We studied it at the AP physics B level (using all 3 levels of problems), but didn't opt to take the AP exam, so I called it honors physics. It could also be used for regular physics by selecting an easier set of homework problems.

Giancoli is aligned well with the SAT subject exam in physics. My son used Giancoli in its entirety, but my dd used it only to review for the SAT 2 physics exam (she had only taken calc-based physics mechanics and elec&magnetism, so she needed to learn other topics such as optics, waves, etc, for the SAT). It did result in SAT 2 scores of 800 for both kids.

hth

We're working our way through physics with CPO's Foundations of Physics (first edition of TE and student book are readily available on Amazon and quite affordable). Don't Touch the Photons is the site I keep for the our schedule, labs, assignments, and videos. Overall, I like the presentation of the book. We do use the lab book (Investigations), but we don't buy the equipment pack. On my website, there's an image of the track we use for kinetics, which is fairly simple. The sensors/technology used with the track are pricy -- we borrowed them from a techy friend. I'm completely blanking out on the reputable lab kit company that I considered (rejected because - embarrassingly -- I already had most of the equipment.

While I think a hands-on lab is essential, there is plenty that can be done with good simulation software. PhET has a fine collection, with ideas for how to guide explorations as well.

Questions about the material on the Photons site are always welcome.