Menu

Dr. Tang's Honors Chemistry Course

A huge "thank you" to regentrude for originally posting about Dr. Tang's Honors Chemistry course.

I was going to outsource chemistry next year for my youngest, but this syllabus with all of the notes and links looks amazing. I just finished chemistry for the second time in the spring of last year and have come to enjoy it far more so than my previous students,sadly.

Since this course in labeled "honors," I am assuming that it could also be labeled at "STEM Chemistry" on a transcript?

Also, does anyone have working links for the labpaqs that would be required so I have a rough idea on cost?

Thanks so much.

• Like 1

I am not sure what "STEM chemistry" is supposed to mean - that's not a well defined term. I labeled ours "chemistry" and will list the textbook; may the colleges draw their own conclusions.

They changed the stupid labpaq website and the old links no longer work. Our kit was $200 for 20 or 22 experiments (we did not do all).

Btw, I still hate chemistry.

• Like 1

I'm doing it this year and agree with Regentrude on naming.

One flag for you, some of the PDFs are not printable (really). Since I did not want to work of the computer, I worked around by using "prtscn" button and then editing the images, putting them in a document so they could be printed as one page (since print screen really only captures half a page).

One flag for you, some of the PDFs are not printable (really). Since I did not want to work of the computer, I worked around by using "prtscn" button and then editing the images, putting them in a document so they could be printed as one page (since print screen really only captures half a page).

They are printable - just not directly by clicking on them ad opening them in acrobat.

If you use ghostview to open them, they print just fine.

I am not sure what "STEM chemistry" is supposed to mean - that's not a well defined term. I labeled ours "chemistry" and will list the textbook; may the colleges draw their own conclusions. They changed the stupid labpaq website and the old links no longer work. Our kit was $200 for 20 or 22 experiments (we did not do all). Btw, I still hate chemistry.

:rofl: Well, I don't know. Maybe as a physics professor, you have bit of an innate prejudice?

STEM Chemistry? This is the first year the high school has moved from the traditional science lineup to starting with physics for freshmen, then chemistry, biology, and whatever for senior year. It is also the first year for the STEM designation for physics and chemistry. I am assuming it means a higher difficulty level and perhaps more math, but I could be wrong. Swimmer Dude seems to be doing just fine with it.

So what I am probably looking for is chemistry that goes further than the basics that I did with the older kids who were terrified of it. I am assuming something billed as "Honors" would work. I doubt that anything on the transcript will be labeled as "honor" or "advanced," since they are somewhat subjective terms. I just need to know in my mind that the curriculum is rigorous. How's that?

Regentrude, one of my science regrets is that I won't get to learn more about your field in our home school studies. I am a liberal arts type of student who took four years of math and three years of science in high school because it was the "right" thing to do. I did not dislike any of the coursework, but I did have to work harder at it. For science, I took Biology, Chemistry, and Biology 2. Few students at my all-girls school were expected to go past two years of science. I was scheduled as one of four girls to take Physics at the all-boys, but it conflicted with AP English,so you know where I went.

I have gone as far as the Hewitt Conceptual Physics book in part with ds in 7th grade and he is doing the same thing at ps this year for 9th grade. So by the time he can take "real" physics, he'll be a senior and I will have to farm it out. :sad:

I have gone from being indifferent to science to be completely intrigued by many aspects in the time I have been homeschooling. It always makes me sad to see all the moms in the middle school threads who dread doing it. Science labs with my boys are cherished memories.

I'm doing it this year and agree with Regentrude on naming. One flag for you, some of the PDFs are not printable (really). Since I did not want to work of the computer, I worked around by using "prtscn" button and then editing the images, putting them in a document so they could be printed as one page (since print screen really only captures half a page).

Do you and your student enjoy the work?

Do you and your student enjoy the work?

First a couple of remarks, many of the things you wrote about what you want are what I would say as well. I actually went to college thinking I might want to be a chemistry major. I liked the in class part and for whatever reason it appealed to me more than math did. BUT I hit a huge obstacle in my first chemistry lab in college, well two really, one I am not a detail oriented person, so the level of detail required in the lab was tedious, and two I got really freaked out about chemicals. As I recall they handed me a gallon glass jug with the strongest hydrochloric acid they had and I had to pour it out to measure like a milliliter or maybe 10 ml but either way a tiny amount compared to what I had in my hands. They had me in a helmet of some sort, big heavy gloves, apron, but still !!! Even worse I had cooked enough that I knew this was a flat out stupid way to get this measurement. The container should have been smaller and more conducive to pouring in a controlled manner. So that was the end of chemistry for me. I'm fine with that, but I would like my oldest to have at least seen a titration before he gets to college.

Okay, so as a mom, this has been a good strong program for us. My oldest is mostly self teaching, so I assign the pages following the schedule, I did correlate topics with Khan accademy and he has a list so if he wants to watch that he can, and I've got answers to check his work by. He's doing great. For labs, I am using a labpaq, but I don't know which and again I tried to correlate it with what he was studying. I like to hover in the background to make sure safety is in place but otherwise he works on his own with a demo if needed.

I asked him last night, I mostly got it's fine mom, it's chemistry. He's a history, politics, and lit guy, smart enough to do well in high school math and science, but not necessarily enthralled with them.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

Dr.Tang honors chemistry looks very organized and we may end up using that this year. Not sure yet. I have a few questions to those who did/ or doing Chang's chemistry following Dr.Tang's schedule. I'm not a Chemistry student and have very limited knowledge in that subject. My son is a 8th grader and completed one chemistry course from Coursera. He seems pretty comfortable with this subject.

1. To guide our students, do we need instructors solutions manual ?( or the solutions on the Dr.Tang's website are enough to go with? ) If yes, what is the ISBN? and how can we get one? I searched for 10th edition Teachers book but found no results.

2. Did any one use Student workbooks? or Students solution manual to accompany the text?

3. I noticed that the course outline starting from Unit 3 is missing, but we can make the assignments list using the assignment answers. 

4. Anything that is missing on Dr.Tang's website, which I should take care of before hand?

5. Are labs feasible with me acting as a helper with out really knowing the subject?

Thank you for the advice and the suggestions.

Sri