Menu

Good movie version of Tale of Two Cities?

The one with Ronald Coleman. But that is the only one I have seen and it was so long ago that I can't remember how close it stuck to the story line. I just remember how handsome and noble he was saying 'tis a far far better thing I do than I have done . . .'

I enjoyed the 1989 TV mini-series version. I saw it back when it was aired, so that is too long ago to remember how close it stuck to the book (or not), or how good (or not) the production quality was. I just remember watching the end scene with tears streaming down my face: "It is a far, far better thing I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest I go to than I have ever known..."

We read the book this year and watched the Ronald Coleman version. It is pretty good and pretty close to the book I think. It is interesting because Ronald Coleman plays Sydney Carton but not Charles Darnay. Black and white and very old feeling but still pretty good.