Menu

How good is the writing portion of TOG?

Misty

I'm considering TOG next year for my daughters, but I need to know how good the writing portion is. My oldest daughter wants to be a writer so she needs a good writing program. I was thinking about IEW, but TOG looks so good.

And I'm kicking myself now because at our convention a couple of months ago, the TOG booth was right next to our booth (I worked the RightStart Math booth). I could easily have leaned over the table separating our booths and read the manuals, but I didn't really have time because I was so busy selling RS stuff!! I so wish I had taken the time to look!!!

Don't know about how good the writing instruction in TOG is, BUT... I recently got to hear TOG creator Marcia Somerville at a homeschool conference speak on writing -- and she was amazing! I learned so much about *how to be specific* in giving writing assignments, how to grade them, and the importance of having very specific rubrics. I ended up ordering her book "Writing Aids" as a result.

However -- all of her information (and the Writing Aids, as well) is based around report-type of writing and specifically how to assign and grade writing -- NOT instruction on how to write or grade fiction writing.

I have also had the opportunity to hear Andrew Pudewa of IEW at a past homeschool conference, and he is absolutely excellent in a different way -- I learned so much about helping the student organize his/her thinking about what to say and how to support it and what goes into a writing a solid paragraph through his key word outline technique. A friend is loaning me his IEW for high school students -- lucky me! : )

However, again, -- all of his info is based around how to teach your student how to organize their thinking and how to revise/dress up a basic paragraph, and then from there, a longer report or essay -- but it is all about report-type of writing, NOT fiction writing.

I know that probably doesn't help in your particular case. Just needed to put in a plug for the creators of both programs, and slightly outline the differences in their approach/strengths. If your daughter is already a good writer and just needs some guidance as she begins to write fiction, then you might be best served by finding a good online (or real life!) writing coach/teacher to mentor her. BEST of luck! Warmly, Lori D.

Thanks Lori, that was very helpful. I thought that both programs offered a lot of researched-based writing assignments, but I wasn't 100% sure. My daughter has been asking for those types of assignments over the past year so it would be good for her. She is a very strong creative writer already, but she thinks she needs improvement (she wants to be REALLY good) so I wonder what else is available for that department?

I think I'll look into purchasing the IEW DVD's if nothing else and possibly the Writing Aids book you mentioned. I need to educate myself so that I can help her attain her goals!

Thanks again!

Misty: how exciting to have a child with a skill and a passion! I wish I had some better resource ideas on how to nurture that love of your daughter's! : ) BTW -- the Writing Aids is expensive, BUT it comes with a CD Rom with all of Marcia's rubrics and forms for ways of brainstorming thoughts and organizing writing. BEST of luck in finding what works best for your family! Warmest regards, Lori

Thanks Lori, that was very helpful. I thought that both programs offered a lot of researched-based writing assignments, but I wasn't 100% sure. My daughter has been asking for those types of assignments over the past year so it would be good for her. She is a very strong creative writer already, but she thinks she needs improvement (she wants to be REALLY good) so I wonder what else is available for that department?

I think I'll look into purchasing the IEW DVD's if nothing else and possibly the Writing Aids book you mentioned. I need to educate myself so that I can help her attain her goals!

Thanks again!

Misty,

I am using both CW and TOG writing. TOG does a good job of teaching the mechanics of writing. For instance last year my oldest struggled with paragraphs, so this year I have her working in level 3, and writing a paragraph a week with TOG. On Monday she writes an outline for the topic, on Tuesday she writes a strong Topic Sentence, on Wednesday she writes the supporting sentences and on Thursday she writes the summary, edits it and adds detail.

This is helping her form better paragraphs in CW. Next year we will do the same thing, but focus on the Five Paragraph Essay. With TOG she will focus on the form, while with CW she focuses on creative writing. But working on the one effects the quality of her work with the other.

Heather

Thank you Heather! That's exactly what I wanted to know! I haven't looked at CW, so I'm off to look at it now.

Lori, yes it is exciting that she has a passion for writing. She LOVES to read and she is very creatively and verbally gifted so writing is something she is very good at and loves. I'm so afraid of not doing enough to help her get there, but at the same time I'm afraid of doing too much and burning her out on it. I feel like I need to tread very carefully!

Thank you both for your input. If we go with TOG we will probably supplement with something for writing even if it's just a little.