Menu

If You Did *NOT* Like Saxon Math, I have a question:

PachiSusan

Ahhhh...Admitted, we were doing the lower grade programs, and have heard that Saxon 4/5 and up are completely different than the early grades. i have heard that those who start later in the program love it. So your DD might be in a completely different situation! Good Luck!

I'm going to call and talk to a math counselor at our school and see what they recommend as well. It's not like they haven't come across this every time a student moves into 5th grade and has to make this decision! LOL

Just wanted to let you know that I did not know you only had two choices because you use Seton. Sorry for throwing the a beka into the mix.

With that in mind the supplement with another curriculum is a great option. I would add LOF to the list of potential supplements. That and MCP might be really good together. We did have MCP (either 2 or 3) my main memory of it was it didn't really add anything-- not that it wasn't good. Just not a great supplement for my kids. :)

I also think the Key To books are a great supplement idea. Maybe some Singapore so you can get her place value dialed in. Also the Kumon workbooks are inexpensive and helpful if you need to get their operation mastery down solid. Miquon might help with the conceptual. Also I would get as many hands on manipulatives as possible to use with Saxon (or whatever you choose). Even in saxon 5/4 it can be helpful for an older kid to see and touch math using hands on materials.

Just wanted to let you know that I did not know you only had two choices because you use Seton. Sorry for throwing the a beka into the mix.

With that in mind the supplement with another curriculum is a great option. I would add LOF to the list of potential supplements. That and MCP might be really good together. We did have MCP (either 2 or 3) my main memory of it was it didn't really add anything-- not that it wasn't good. Just not a great supplement for my kids. :)

No worries at all. I know I'm at a board where very few people seem to use a full curriculum. :)

I also think the Key To books are a great supplement idea. Maybe some Singapore so you can get her place value dialed in. Also the Kumon workbooks are inexpensive and helpful if you need to get their operation mastery down solid. Miquon might help with the conceptual. Also I would get as many hands on manipulatives as possible to use with Saxon (or whatever you choose). Even in saxon 5/4 it can be helpful for an older kid to see and touch math using hands on materials.

Thank you - that is great advie. We do use the Kumon workbooks presently and she likes them and does well with them. I truly think it's just mind numbing practice that she will have to assent to doing and until we get there, we will struggle. Oh the joys of a stubborn child!