Menu

2nd Person Narrative?

8yo ds was reading On the Banks of Plum Creek tonight, and asked me why, if Laura wrote the book, does she keep referring to herself as "Laura" instead of "I". I explained the difference between 1st and 3rd person narrative, but then he wanted to know about 2nd person. I'm finding it harder to explain that one to him. Any suggestions, or children's books you know of written in 2nd person narrative that I could have him read?

from About.com

"You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You’re on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the guy who’ll decide where to go."

(Dr. Seuss, Oh! The Places You’ll Go! 1990)

from tvtropes

The first chapter of Winnie-The-Pooh uses a Framing Device in which A. A. Milne tells Cristopher Robin a story about himself and Pooh, so in the story, Cristopher Robin is constantly referred to as "you." This is only used for the first chapter, however, and the rest of the book uses conventional third-person narration.

If You Give A Mouse A Cookie tells "you" all about what will happen if "you," well, give a mouse a cookie.