Menu

How much Grammar is enough?

If a kid has done R&S Grammar from the start and finishes the 7th grade book, is that enough? They just added the 9th & 10th grade books a few years ago, right? So are those really necessary? How about the eigth grade book? Could we just move on to forgien language and call that & writing good enough?

I don't have kids that old, but I am fairly young myself an didn't graduate too long ago. We didn't study grammar past 6th grade, and even then I guarantee it wasn't nearly as comprehensive as R&S grammar. It was just a small part of the overall LA class. After 6th grade grammar was covered through our writing assignments. If we started showing that we had forgotten some rules or something we might have to do a review sheet as homework, but that was all. Anyways, the point of all this is that your 7th grader at this point has probably had more grammar than many public school seniors.

We never stopped working on grammar. I think 9th grade was usually the last grade that we had an actual grammar curriculum, but after that, we continued to do little refreshers, and would work on grammar issues that they seemed to struggle with in their writing.

Well, I know it comes up in writing and stuff. I'm just wondering how long we need to keep up the formal curriculum. We'ee in the 7th grade book, and this is much more than I remember learning. I originally thought it'd be great that they learned so much grammar. Now, I'd kinda like to spend the time on other things. I'm not sure how imporant it is to know how to identify the complex tense of a word as long as you know how to use it properly.