Menu

AW and AU in AAS

blondeviolin

Sometimes the short O is an /aw/ sound for us too. "Hot" is a regular short O, but "dog" is the /aw/ sound--dawg. In other regions, they would both be short O's. I just told my kids that the pronunciations can vary by region. Just like any other time that there are multiple ways to spell a certain sound, you may need to spend extra time learning how to spell certain words. Use the word cards like a word bank to build up a visual memory of these words, practice a few each day, and keep them in daily review until they are really solid.

Merry :-)

Sometimes the short O is an /aw/ sound for us too. "Hot" is a regular short O, but "dog" is the /aw/ sound--dawg. In other regions, they would both be short O's. I just told my kids that the pronunciations can vary by region. Just like any other time that there are multiple ways to spell a certain sound, you may need to spend extra time learning how to spell certain words. Use the word cards like a word bank to build up a visual memory of these words, practice a few each day, and keep them in daily review until they are really solid.

Merry :-)

Thanks, Merry! I was hoping you'd respond! This particular child only needs to spell specific words and she's got it down. I'm not worried for her as much as for possible future kids to use the curriculum. Just telling her to remember what phonograms we're working on this week will solidify the words in her head. She's also a pretty good reader so she will have the visual memory of a lot of words.