Menu

A Snowshoe Funny

Mergath

I've been wanting to try out snowshoeing, and decided that today, I'd take dd and we'd rent a couple of pairs at the state park. Well, I've never so much as seen a pair before, so I was looking for a quick video to show me the basics. And I found one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y7_8v5BwUmE

The only problem is that I'm so busy laughing myself sick at the second lady's "natural stride" I can't pay any attention to what the first lady is saying.

Now, I'm no expert, but surely the second lady is a cyborg.

I took my new cross country skis out today for the second time ever. I did much better today than the first time. As I was doing it I realized I had more of a walking /snowshoeing stride then a gliding/skiing stride (I'm still working on the balance/center of gravity thing). I had to concentrate on keeping my balanence as well as which pole to move with which foot, and the feet easily get off beat with the poles!

Sadly I have a feeling I looked a lot like the second woman! LOL!

I'm jealous of you. We go up to Flagstaff every winter for a couple of days of "snow play". We go sledding, dh goes skiing (we tried it last time but it didn't go very well), and once we all went cross-country skiing by the light of the full moon. One thing we've never tried is snowshoeing, and I keep suggesting it. It sounds lovely to make to hike through the forest in the snow, but to my guys it sounds terribly boring. They would rather build a snow fort, sled, or ski. So far I have not convinced them to try it.

So what's the benefit of the snowshoes when the snow is so thin? I thought they were mostly good for walking in deep snow. I actually own a pair and used them one or two winters walking in the deep snow, but I haven't used them recently. With snow as thin as what's in the video, I would just walk in boots. Should I be getting out the snowshoes? They always seemed cumbersome to me, but maybe I just need more practice.

So what's the benefit of the snowshoes when the snow is so thin? I thought they were mostly good for walking in deep snow. I actually own a pair and used them one or two winters walking in the deep snow, but I haven't used them recently. With snow as thin as what's in the video, I would just walk in boots. Should I be getting out the snowshoes? They always seemed cumbersome to me, but maybe I just need more practice.

The ones I used today, the more modern kind, have metal claw things on the bottom so they're good for deep snow and if you're walking on icy or slippery surfaces. I was bounding over slippery, icy fallen trees and hills today like they were nothing. (Sadly, the sled had a bit more trouble, lol.)