Menu

Garlic Press Literature Guides?

They are not consumable. They are teaching guides, not books you hand to the student. I am pretty sure you can look inside of them on Rainbow Resource's website.

How long they take depends on how you schedule them. I'd say anywhere from thirty days (working for 45 minutes every day) to half a year (once a week). I aimed to do one per quarter when I was using them and was able to do that without feeling like our weeks were too literature-heavy.

I have recently discovered these middle school guides, and I must admit, I like what I see. I'd love to hear from people who have used them. How long does each one take? Which one is your favorite/least favorite? Are they consumable?

http://www.garlicpre...ure_series.html

How long it takes depends on how much of the guide you want to use, and how much time you want to take on the specific book -- I'd say anywhere from 4 weeks to 12 weeks. They are not consumable -- not set up as workbook pages. Each guide contains background info on the author/book and times; discussion questions for each chapter; a number of one-page teaching "mini-lessons" on literary elements or literature topics, and then writing topics; writing assignments; additional activity ideas; list of additional resources; answers to questions in back. Very meaty!

We are only familiar with the challenger level guides and used the following in the high school years:

- The Odyssey

- The Giver

- To Kill a Mockingbird

- Lord of the Flies

In looking at the online samples, I wish we had discovered these a bit earlier, as I definitely would have used The Hobbit guide, too. Don't know how the middle school guides compare; from the few sample pages, they appear to be more workbook-like -- but, again, no personal experience with them.

Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.