Menu

Funny/interesting gift stories

Dmmetler

Since we have lots of other gift threads...

Many, many years ago, when we were recently married, DH was really into Warcraft. Not World of Warcraft, the original, DOS-Based game that came before it. And he really liked the cute little, about 6 pixel tall animated orcs that talked to you.

So, that year, I set out to find a "cute little orc" for him. This was before online shopping was big (or really existed at all), and I struck out. I finally ended up sending a LETTER (how primitive!) to the old Enterprise 1701 Sci-fi/fantasy store in Orlando (Now Sci-fi City) because it was the only business of that type that I knew of by name. I got a very nice letter back stating that, unfortunately, "All our orcs are inherently ugly, but if your husband would like to adopt an ugly orc, we can arrange a placement visit and interview".

So, I gave him the letter and a "gift certificate" entitling him to adopt one orc :).

We now have a whole collection of little plastic orcs/trolls, including several versions of Lego ones, various Warcraft-themed ones, various toy ones, and so on. And there's a Christmas box under the tree this year, labeled to the orcs (it's a playmobil farm set I got free on an order, containing several plastic chickens, because there's a running joke between DD and DH where DH will bring the lego food up to the orc shelf because "the orcs are hungry" ).