Menu

Should I go with my dd?

Faithr

My dd is thinking of applying to a local university to get a M.Ed. She has an appointment this afternoon with the admissions department just to gather information about their program. She wanted me to go with her but then she was wondering if that would make her look bad. Can the mother tag along without creating a bad impression? I mean we, the parents, will be footing the bill and we are curious to know what we'll get for our money, if she applies. But maybe, now at age 22, you just don't have your mommy come along????

Anyone know?

My dd is thinking of applying to a local university to get a M.Ed. She has an appointment this afternoon with the admissions department just to gather information about their program. She wanted me to go with her but then she was wondering if that would make her look bad. Can the mother tag along without creating a bad impression? I mean we, the parents, will be footing the bill and we are curious to know what we'll get for our money, if she applies. But maybe, now at age 22, you just don't have your mommy come along????

Anyone know?

You should not go. Or you can go, but just don't be seen. Go somewhere else on campus and meet her after.

Yeah, it's sad. We are paying but can't be seen! Seriously, they are adults and need to handle this on their own.

Do not go to the interview. If the drive to the U will take long enough that your daughter would like your company on the trip there, then make sure that you and your daughter part ways before she approaches the building where the interview is held. While she is in the interview, use the time to explore the campus or sit and have a cup of coffee. When the interview is over, your daughter can meet you at the table where you are relaxing with your cup of coffee. Good luck to your daughter!

I realize you've already made your decision, but just to add in for anyone else reading who has a similar question:

I have heard professors talk about instantly rejecting otherwise qualified graduate applicants because they brought their mother to an interview. For undergraduate it might be okay (although even then it's better for the student to handle it while the mother goes for coffee), but for graduate school, at many schools it's a complete no-no.

Well, my dd went. It was just an informal info session with the admissions person. It wasn't an interview with professor or anything. But she is very excited now. She's going to apply. She'll be graduating this year with a B.A. in Political Philosophy. The counselor said after doing their program and getting her licensure, she'd be all set to teach high school civics, history, geography and economics. She's also a good writer. So if she wanted to she could get qualified to teach composition and literature. You can do the program in 1.5 or 2 years. She wants to try and get an assistant teaching job and maybe take two years, instead of rushing through in 1.5. But, we'll see. She's very good at public speaking and she has a lot of enthusiasm for the subject matter, so I think she could make a good teacher. The school has almost 100% job placement, so that made her very happy! She taught religion classes at our church through high school and while attending her university she taught really little kids at Kumon, so she has taught before. This wasn't her first career choice (she initially wanted to go to law school, but really there is such a glut in the market right now; risk wise it didn't seem like a practical way to go). She's got a serious boyfriend and I know they would like to get married in a couple years, so I think that is figuring heavily into the plans. Anyway, I'm pretty pleased about the whole thing and she's excited!