Menu

Freezer Meals

Trez

My fil just came home from heart surgery and we aren't sure how capable my mil will be of keeping him fed. *long story*

My initial thought was that I could pay to go to one of these places that provides you with recipes/ingredients/containers and allows you to prepare freezer meals. It sounds fun but very expensive.

I'm wondering if there is a website that anyone knows of that could be of assistance with recipes and directions for healthy freezer meals. I've never done this before and would appreciate any assistance that you could provide.

If it's just your MIL and FIL one of those places might not be as much as you expect. Before I had my first DD I went to one with a friend and since we needed smaller meals we got double the number of meals we paid for. There were even instructions specifically for these half servings. I really enjoyed it and loved having my freezer stocked when DD was born.

If you really want to do it at home though I would suggest things that are easy to package in individual servings. Soups, chili, and lasagne are all easy to freeze in single servings. Also, if you're cooking something for your family maybe cook a bit extra and freeze it as you go so you're not trying to do it all at once. Are they nearby? Could you simply cook double what you were planning for dinner and drop it off for MIL to heat up 2-3 times a week?

There's also the website Once A Month Mom, she has plans laid out very specifically and they look really good, but overwhelming too so while I've thought it about several time I've never bit the bullet and done the full cooking weekend.

I was doing some investigating on the Once A Month site. It does look a bit overwhelming. I would love to be able to do a big cook/freeze day (maybe not a month's worth) and put some things aside for them as well as for my own family. Of course, I always have issues finding recipes for my own family as they are sooooo picky. My boys are still primarily in the stage of mac and cheese, chicken fingers, pizza (most veggies are shunned) and my husband doesn't like peas or mushrooms.

I think I'll continue looking over the recipes on the Once A Month site but if anyone else has suggestions/recipes that they really like (that maybe I could coax my kids to eat...and send off to the outlaws) .let me know.